Two speed or variable speed pump

Feb 12, 2016
Gilbert, AZ
I am thinking about moving to a new pump for some energy savings and because of some electrical wiring hazards on the current pump. With my current single speed pump it runs the hayward pool vac and skimmer with a manual valve I can adjust if needed. If I switch to dual or variable do I have to change that setup or will it just pull water, but only enough volume to run the pool vac when it kicks up to high?
Do I have to buy new timer for the dual speed pump? It seems like all the variable speed pumps have them built in. That means the dual speed pumps aren't as much of a savings. If I decide to turn on the waterfall feature when the kids are swimming are both pump types easy to manually increase to full speed?

Have others out there looked at these options and have any advice? Thanks much!

Lots of folks upgrading to a 2 speed pump leave the same timer installed and add a switch to manually change it from low speed to high speed. They leave the switch on low speed so when the timer turns on the pump to filter it runs at low speed. And then they flip the switch when high speed is needed.

Variable speed pumps have their own timer. It is easy to change the speed whenever you want by pushing a preset button if you have one set for the desired speed. I have speed 1 for filtering and SWG and speed 2 for solar, speed 3 for bottom drain and or morr waterfall, etc. Or you can just hit the up arrow to increase the speed that is currently running. It will automatically change to the next speed at the next scheduled time.

A Hayward Maxflo VS 1-1/2 hp pump would probably be a nice upgrade.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.