Lost all chlorine overnight?

I would say things are going well on day 2 of SLAM. I can actually see the bottom of the pool on both the left and right side (sports pool, center deep end). I actually retained FC last night too! I woke up this morning to an FC of 20. I will keep monitoring and keep SLAMing.

woVFePV.jpg

Well this morning I was a little bummed as there was no change overnight. I just got done cleaning the filters so hopefully that will help. I checked my chlorine levels and those looked good 20 FC, .5 CC, but also checked my CYA and am getting a read closer to 60 now. It has been a week since I conditioned so possibly it is fully dissolved and circulated now. If that is the case, looks like Leslie's did over shoot me. At a CYA of 60, my shock level should be 24 instead of 20 -- could that be the reason for no overnight change in appearance?

Hey all, sorry for no update, wife tasked me with making a garden bed so I spend most of my weekend doing that (I did keep up with my slam though). Today was one of the most positive results, here are some pics comparing today with 2 days ago:

Stairs 2 days ago & today:
dBhEgU6.jpg
Abd36oQ.jpg

Far side 2 days ago & today:
woVFePV.jpg
zDQ7A4D.jpg

The white you see on the floor is not cloud reflection, it is actually the floor, my finish is just really old and needs redone!

Bonus pic:
HQgz6Zi.jpg

No that hazy black dot in the center is not your CYA test, it's my center floor drain visible for the first time!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Kim & Marian. Today was another very successful day!

QMyONuS.jpg

I think I am going to use my center drain as my new gauge since it is a sports pool and deepest in the center.

Bonus pic with the garden bed I am building -- the ground here is super hard so I need to get a pick axe before I can trench the far side:

7oN0u1U.jpg

Thanks Kim. Now that I can see the bottom of my pool pretty visibly, when I brush, I get brown clouds that kick up from the bottom. I assume it is either algae or dirt. The algae I had, although it turned the water green, actually looked like yellow sand on my sweep hose, so I am thinking it can be this. Is there anything I can do to get rid of that? It seems too fine to get picked up by the sweeper and I don't have a vac. I have been trying to push it toward the center drain with my brush, not sure if that is doing anything. Also, any way I can know if it is dead or alive?

Jeff you really need to get a manual vacuum for things like this. You can get the hose and head from Walmart. I am hoping you already have a pole. If not you will need to get one of those as well.

11.25 Swimming Pool Weighted Liner Butterfly Vacuum Head with Bumper - Walmart.com

This is the only real way to get that up. You will have to "sneak" up on it.

Now if you are real handy you can find a way to vacuum to waste using your cart. filter. Do a search to see if anyone has shown how to do it.

If it is gray it should be dead BUT it can hide live under it if you leave it down so need to get it up.

Kim

Thanks Kim. Do you think if I had a suction side cleaner on hand for particle debris it would be beneficial? My currently Polaris pressure side has a bum wheel and ends up stuck in a corner most of the day. Would a suction side wall climber pick up this stuff? I don't anticipate needing the large debris pickup ability of the polaris bag for several months.

Well I decided to answer my own question and give a suction side sweeper a go and picked up the Hayward Aquanaut 4, and this thing really kicks butt! I brushed the pool today and no dead algae kickup, so I think I am ready to declare victory! I am not losing FC over night and I have no CC. As for the water, I think it's looking good and the center drain is very visible:

XQILNov.jpg

Also I read somewhere online that you be able to read a dime in your deepend:

bMVL1fe.jpg

It's heads!

Irr2VaL.jpg

By the way, I do not recommend this test. I spend the next 10 minutes trying to get a dime out of my pool with no luck. The water is way too cold to go in there and get it!

So, question for the pros, do you think my shock is done and I should proceed to let the chlorine die down to recommended level or should I keep at it for another day?

That IS a dime! LOL guess we need to make sure to tell about that test ONLY when it is warm!

It is up to you if you let is drift down. I bet if you keep your FC at your CYA level your water will get even clearer! It is clear now but after your filter, helped by your vacuum, has a couple of day to really polish your water............JEWEL like will be what you call your water!

Well done! Here is a link for you. Print it out and put it by your test kit. With this and TFP you should never have to do this again.

Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.