I just emptied the spa into the pool and filled back up with garden hose...1 1/2 hours to fill. Now draining down pool to normal level. I did a quick strip test of the new spa water and it was nice not to see any CYA registered. ph was fine though. Once I stop draining I'll mix it with the general population and see how it goes. Thanks.

I just emptied the spa into the pool and filled back up with garden hose...1 1/2 hours to fill. Now draining down pool to normal level. I did a quick strip test of the new spa water and it was nice not to see any CYA registered. ph was fine though. Once I stop draining I'll mix it with the general population and see how it goes. Thanks.
b82b4c74f27763d8fb5525e3ec49592d.jpg

We can't help with test strip results. They are absurdly inaccurate.

You need a Taylor K-2006/Leslie's 81329 or TF 100/50 to take care of your pool properly. It's the best $70 you can spend for your pool.

The TF100 is sold by someone here, but it's the best value I've been able to find as far as test kits go:
TFTestkits.net

Frank can you do two things for me please?

Add you pretty plaster color to your siggy and that you have a Taylor 2006 test kit. That will help in the future when others look at your pretty pool and want to copy the plaster color! LOL

Kim

Readings today are...
FC=11
CC=0
ph=7.7
Alk=100
CH=300
CYA=>150

Water looks fine. We had rain all weekend so after a couple of hours draining beforehand it's back up to near top levels. Can't afford to drain anymore but will keep on top of the FC and hope the warmer weather and sun helps out. R-0013 in bulk bottle to be delivered tomorrow.

On page one of this thread, on 3-26-16, JOYFULNOISE made a comment about "RO" water, which I presume to refer to reverse osmosis, which is something I have to do for a 225g saltwater aquarium. Why would there be any need for R.O. water in a swimming pool? (I actually use the "waste" water from my R.O. filter to add water to the pool, instead of just letting it soak into the ground.)

On page one of this thread, on 3-26-16, JOYFULNOISE made a comment about "RO" water, which I presume to refer to reverse osmosis, which is something I have to do for a 225g saltwater aquarium. Why would there be any need for R.O. water in a swimming pool?
Because it's the only way to reduce CYA and CH buildup besides draining and refilling. Draining several thousand gallons at a pop is not something you want to or are allowed to do under drought conditions and water restrictions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What do you think this reads?
e8cdd5966fdd0beb96b592b7c19515a8.jpg
If your CYA level is 90 or higher, repeat the test adjusting the procedure as follows:
1. Fill the mixing bottle to the lower mark with pool water.
2. Continue filling the mixing bottle to the upper mark with tap water.
Shake briefly to mix.
3. Pour off half of the contents of the mixing bottle, so it is again filled to the lower mark.
Continue the test normally from step 3, but multiply the final result by two

Extended Test Kit Directions

I just tested using this method and I think I'm getting a much more accurate reading regarding CYA. I came up with 130 for the CYA, still high but moving in the right direction. FC=11.0, ph=7.7, Alk=90 also tested today. Thanks for pointing this out to me.

I just tested using this method and I think I'm getting a much more accurate reading regarding CYA. I came up with 130 for the CYA, still high but moving in the right direction. FC=11.0, ph=7.7, Alk=90 also tested today. Thanks for pointing this out to me.
Can you replace some water? It's going to be difficult to keep your water chlorinated at that level.

Re: Cyanuric-Ongoing

Big day for me. Just tested pool and CYA is down under 100 at 90ppm. FC=8.0, CC=0, ph=7.4 and Alk=90. I plan to hook up a power washer to the filter today and clean my deck which will use some more pool water that I can replace with fresh. Water still looks great, temps up to 72 and I'm encouraged. Will add a little baking soda today to smooth out the ph. Am I on the right track? Thanks.

Re: Cyanuric-Ongoing

Big day for me. Just tested pool and CYA is down under 100 at 90ppm. FC=8.0, CC=0, ph=7.4 and Alk=90. I plan to hook up a power washer to the filter today and clean my deck which will use some more pool water that I can replace with fresh. Water still looks great, temps up to 72 and I'm encouraged. Will add a little baking soda today to smooth out the ph. Am I on the right track? Thanks.
No baking soda today. Your TA is already at the high end and your refill water will just change everything anyway.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.