Water enthusiast from Tepoztlan, Mexico.

Mar 18, 2016
Tepoztlan, Mexico
Hi all,

I've just moved to this beautiful little magic town in Central Mexico and now I have a house with a pool in the backyard, but I don't know much about pools, other than I like to be in the water and swim every time I can.

Problem is, the filter is not working properly. When in the filter position, water leaks from the emptying tube. A technician is needed, but here at the feet of the Tepozteco things can take a while, and in the meantime I would like to use the pool with the family.

The pool is a 20 x 13 ft in ground pebble, 9500 gallons by TFP calculator, the filter is a Swim Pro High Rate Sand Filter S190TEXP.

The water is clear enough to see the bottom, but not crystal clear, and with a visible amount of dirt floating around and at the bottom. The pool is covered, at least these last four weeks since it was filled (so they tell me).

I got the basic maintenance kit including a simple test kit. I measured the levels of chlorine and ph, the only possible with this kit (I know now there're better ones but they're unavailable here at the moment).

The chlorine level was under 0.5 and the ph was in between 7.5 and 7.6 and the only maintenance I've make until now is cleaning the surface every other day with the skimmer and keeping it covered.

Weather is max 84, min 55, 36% humidity, and 4 UV index.

I will attach a couple photos I took of the filter and pump.

Any tips and comments will be much appreciated!

Thank you very much!

IMG_7436.jpgIMG_7435.jpgIMG_7437.jpg

Welcome to TFP!

It is fine to swim in the pool as long as you can see the bottom, keep PH between 7.2 and 7.8 and maintain a safe chlorine level for your CYA level, Chlorine CYA Chart

Uses a pool brush, paddle, broom or something to mix the chemicals before swimming.

Thank you very much for your replies! I will do what you suggest pooldv. Duraleigh, sorry for my not so good english, by "emptying tube" I meant the waste tube, and it leaks just a little when the filter is set in the filter position, I don't know how to measure that.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and thank you too woodyp!! I'll mention that to the technician and also contact the Hayward people.