New Pool Build Finished

Jan 31, 2016
Houston/TX
New Pool build was just complete. Day 4 with water in pool.

Pool builder has me working primarily on getting PH stabilized. Adding ACID a little at a time and retest following day.

Maybe I'm just jumping the gun but should I be adding any Chlorine or CYA at this time?

Recently Added Proteam Supreme Plus 45lbs according to instructions. PH is around 7.8 just added a dash of acid this evening and will retest tomorrow.

I plan on using Liquid 10% Chlorine when I do, with the occasional 3" tab when traveling or after a heavy rain.

Thanks for any advice. I'll post picture tomorrow.

- TXPoolRanger

New cement/gunnite pools take a while to "cure" and the pH tends to rise and require repeated doses of MA. Are you testing your water yet yourself or relying on pool stores to test? We always recommend folks do their own testing (no one is as conscientious about testing your water as you and you you aren't being encouraged to buy chemicals you may or *may not* need!)

Please review the Pool School articles (link at the top of the page) particularly
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

I would recommend obtaining one of the recommended test kits which perform all the chemical tests you'll need to maintain clean and clear water. See the link in my siggy line for one source.

I am testing myself with one of the forums recommended kits.

PB warranty on the PebbleTec is subject to PebbleTec requirements.

PB has us brushing dust off walls and floors. I assume chlorination will occur once PH is a bit more stable.

thanks.

Here you go Ranger, check-out this page: Pool School - Start-up New Plaster. Compare what is listed here to what your builder is saying. If nothing else, it may allow you to take more charge of some items. Armed with your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006, you'll be in a good position to watch those numbers. Let us know if you have any more questions.

I don't know of any contraindication for chlorine in a new pool just because the pH is labile except to add small amounts slowly until it reaches the desired chlorine level.

Please ask your PB what level of chlorination he wants the pool to have so it doesn't turn green before your eyes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.