Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Anybody recognize these plugs?

1. Back To Top    #1

Anybody recognize these plugs?

(I also posted this under "No pool cover.")

I'm all set to open my rapidly-greening pool for the first time by myself. I've figured everything out EXCEPT the two plugs pictured below, beneath the return jet eyeball fittings. They're the same size and material as the eyeball fittings, so I'm thinking that maybe they're used to close off one return for testing the pipes? My system is old and somewhat fragile, so I'm reluctant to fire up the pump without feeling confident that I've replaced everything correctly.

Does anyone recognize these, or have ideas? I promise not to blame anyone if their guess is wrong!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -----------------------------------
    26000 gal, in-ground, vinyl pool
    Hayward S200 sand filter, 1 skimmer, 2 returns
    BBB since the first month! :-)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Anybody recognize these plugs?

They are winterizing plugs for the returns, but they are missing their O-rings.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! They weren't used to winterize the pool this winter ... and the ones I took out of the return jets look much newer. I'm thinking that they're the old ones, and the PB put on new ones because these didn't have O-rings. Does that sound plausible?

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by singerteacher
    Thanks! They weren't used to winterize the pool this winter ... and the ones I took out of the return jets look much newer. I'm thinking that they're the old ones, and the PB put on new ones because these didn't have O-rings. Does that sound plausible?
    Yep.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

I have seen these used as covers for the mounting holes used for volleyball net posts as well.
    My Pool
    15k Gal Gunite Pool w/8 ft Spa w/Spillover
    Hayward DE Filter + DE Separation Tank
    Legend Sweep, Pentair Gas Heater
    Stenner Metering Pump for Liquid Chlorine Injection (15 gallon tank)

6. Back To Top    #6

They can also be used on the winter drain in the bottom of your filter or in a "tee" fitting in the lowest pipe going to your multi-port valve. Look close to the ground. They still would need their "O" rings to be useful.

In any case, water pouring out a 1 1/2" threaded hole should be your first clue that one might go there. Prime your pump, keep the heater off, and watch carefully and I doubt you will break anything.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

7. Back To Top    #7

They don't have to have their o-rings to be useful. In fact, in some situations plugs this size don't even fit all the way down to the lip where the o-ring would be. In those cases these plugs are ideal candidates for teflon tape.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

The plugs are Hayward SP1022C, and the returns are SP1419D (or other branded equivalent). Just FYI.
    http://www.swimmingpool.com/

"Leave the gun...take the cannolis"

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by budster
    The plugs are Hayward SP1022C, and the returns are SP1419D (or other branded equivalent). Just FYI.
    Budster is correct (go figure :P ) on the part #s

The one on the lower left is Pete and his partner on the right is Billy :P
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by budster
    That's pretty amazing. I love this forum!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by spishex
    They don't have to have their o-rings to be useful. In fact, in some situations plugs this size don't even fit all the way down to the lip where the o-ring would be. In those cases these plugs are ideal candidates for teflon tape.
    Good point--consider my post amended--I meant as regards the installations for which these plugs were designed. I myself use them elsewhere with tape and the "O" rings are not engaged.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.