Is my heat pump big enough?

Nov 9, 2015
Lawrence, KS
We are building 20x40 inground vinyl liner, 30,000 gallons, and are equipping it with a Pentair 125,000 BTU heat/cool pump. We hope to use the pool from May thru October in Kansas. I wanted to make sure the heat pump was big enough to heat the pool to 85-88 degrees on a regular basis. Any thoughts or feedback are greatly appreciated.

The heat pump will raise the water temperature about 0.5 degree per hour. So on demand heating will take quite awhile but if you run the heater every day, then it should be able keep up with the heat loss. It just might cost you a fortune though.

A good solar cover (bubble type) will help you a lot. An opaque auto-cover would be good too but that adds a lot of cost to a pool build. As with any type of heating method (gas or heat pump), evaporative heat loss is the biggest driver of how well you can maintain a particular water temperature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.