Replacing single speed leaking pool pump

Oct 14, 2015
Spring, TX
We just recently purchased purchased our house and the pool pump is leaking already. Before we purchased it the motor on the pool pump was going out so the seller replaced it. I'm not sure if the motor they replaced it with was new or used but it looks fairly new. The new motor is kind of noisy, doesnt really bother me but i would rather buy a new pump than fix this one especially not knowing the history. It seems to be leaking around where the new motor is joined to the pump and started leaking a month into the new motor. Currently we have a hayward northstar 2hp pool pump and the pool is about 13000-15000 gallons. I'm considering a variable speed pool pump but don't know if its worth the additional cost. We pay .10 cents per kw and .075 cents if the usage is over 1000kw, which is not hard to do. Im considering the 2hp single speed Hayward SP2615X20 for about $450, the 2hp Hayward SP3200VSP TriStar for $775 or the hayward maxflo SP2302VSP for about $650. Is it worth the extra ~$300 to go with variable speed for me?

Is that pump also running the spa? Or just the filter and pool returns?

I am a big fan of my VS pump because of the flexibility to control the waterflow for different things like solar panels, SWG, waterfall. Also, because I can run the pump 24x7 when the trees are dropping tons of stuff in the pool in spring and fall. I run it at 1100rpm for skimming and making chlorine. The pump only draws 150 watts and at 10.25c/kWh it costs less than 12 bucks a month to run it 24x7. Skimming 24x7 keeps the leaves and junk in the skimmer baskets and off the bottom.

I would get a 2 speed pump at a minimum and then you can run it on low for filtering/skimming and save about 75% of the electricity.

Yes, it also runs the spa which has an overflow waterfall into the pool. We have a separate pump for the waterfalls. Currently we run the pump for 13 hours a day. But VS would come in handy as you mentioned at keeping junk out of the pool.

If you are happy with the waterflow from the 2hp pump then you could get a 2 speed 2hp pump. A 2 speed pump moves about half the water volume with about 25% of the electricity consumption on low speed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.