Applying for Permit (Owner Build)

sheree202

Gold Supporter
Jan 15, 2016
Lawrenceville, GA
I'm looking at my county's application for a swimming pool permit and I notice that it asks multiple times for information on the pool contractor. For an owner build would I just put down "self"? Has anyone had any issues with that holding up the process of approval?

Hi. I have not personally. They likely want to know to be sure it's being done by licensed people. I would put "no general contractor" and list the subs and what they will do (at least for the major stuff). Or you could put "homeowner" as the contractor but they may still ask about subs then. I don't think it would hurt to list the subs. If time is an issue it can only help.

A couple additional thoughts: "self" or your name is good. I'd recommend your name. I had to get a permit in Austin, which a notorious bureaucracy. They didn't give me a hard time at all. Also, the only subs they ever cared about were electrician and plumber.

Another thing to note is that in most places (definitely throughout Texas), the rules are a lot more lax for homeowners. For example, I was able to pull my own plumbing permit because it's my house. There are exceptions (like working with gas always requires a license), but by and large, homeowners can get away with more. The permit people were also super helpful for me, even walking me through the whole scale process for the plot plan. The permit place also had a business center where I could print on the big plot plan size paper (11x17, I think).

Other than waiting for a long time and getting the drawings to scale, the process was pretty painless. I was worried about what exactly needed to be shown on the plans, but it seemed they really just needed to see the survey (house and lot) with a rough shape of the pool in its location. The only specs they cared about were measurements. Every county will be different, but for Austin (a difficult government), it was relatively painless.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't list the subs unless they ask. Just put self. If they want more they will explain what they want at the counter. Go in and ask questions over the counter and expect to fail once.

I was also really worried about failing, but I didnt. Even if I did fail, you get a specific list of things to fix and meet with a person before submitting again (in Austin). Don't know if it works the same in GA.

In Milwaukee, WI where I live, the suburb that I am in requires licensed contractors to pull most permits. I already have a pool, but want to renovate the whole pool area and want to do much if it myself, minus some of the plumbing and electrical. Any suggestions on how to get around that?

In Milwaukee, WI where I live, the suburb that I am in requires licensed contractors to pull most permits. I already have a pool, but want to renovate the whole pool area and want to do much if it myself, minus some of the plumbing and electrical. Any suggestions on how to get around that?

Don't tell anyone you are renovating... OR ask a friend with a contractors license to pull the permits for you OR get licensed with the state

If they require licensed contractors for most permits I would go ask. Don't call go down and talk over the counter. I suspect they want a licenced electrical contractor and maybe a plumber. But if the plumbing is just pool plumbing they may waive that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.