Run Filter at Night

Feb 15, 2016
Plano
Hi All,
I have been researching this from last few days about running my pool filter at night to utilize free electricity from 9pm-6am. I read in different forums that people do run at night and they are fine with it.

I talked to the local leslie's pool store guy and he said "dont do it, you will have algae problems."

I have been running my filter from past 2 months in the night, but summer is going to be different.

I am planning on buying a solar/uv cover and cover it during the day and running the filter at night.

Really appreciate any suggestions or someone who has already done this.

15000/SWCG/Spa

Thanks

Free electricity! I want some! :) Ignore the Leslie's comment. You can run that pump at ANY time day or night you want to. Many folks split run times across day/evening. Use your own experience to determine how long to run your pump to remain clear. Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time The simple fact is that it's the water chemistry that will prevent algae, not pump time. The pump circulates the chemicals and provides surface (water) movement towards the skimmer, but your bleach will maintain the proper FC level to keep the water clear.

As for your proposed cover, it should keep the Texas sun off the water to help save some FC which will be nice.

the leslie's person is probably saying that because tabs need circulation to dissolve and spread into the pool, and during the day the FC burns off and without the pool running, the tabs aren't dispensing.

IF you start your day with the proper level of FC, enough PPM above the minimum that you will still be above the minimum by sundown, you will be fine. A lot of us prefer to add liquid chlorine after sundown so that the chlorine can work all night throughout the pool without the sun burning it off. Just need the pump to run at least for 30 minutes after adding the liquid chlorine, if not all night.

Mine is salt water and dont think i will be using tabs.

So if the SWCG runs all night, wouldn't i have enough FC during the day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, that is what the target level is all about. As an example, if your SWCG pool has a CYA of 80, we recommend that the FC never go below 6, so we say target 8. In your case if in the morning your FC is 8 it will slowly drift down during the day, hopefully staying above 6 by the end of the day. If you find that you drop below 6, just raise your target a little. It wil probably take a few days of morning/night tests to work out the details for your pool.

You need to raise your CYA level for both the SWG and also against the blazing Texas sun. That will help you maintain FC better. 80 is a good number.

Pleae refer to the Chlorine/CYA chart under the Pool School link.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.