Leaking Strainer housing - causing air leak

May 17, 2011
Hi everyone,

today I noticed that I had bubbles in my strainer pot and my return lines today.

Spent several hour trying to find the suction side air leak.

replaced pot lid, o rings, replaced jandy valve o rings, searched for air leak.

finally located it on the strainer housing itself, just behind the strainer lid on the housing itself.

It spit out water from that area just after I turned off the pump.

So it was not any of the normal culprits.

Good news is after wasting the whole afternoon I finally found the air leak, bad news is it is not a simple o ring fix.

I am looking for advice on how to fix this, I would rather not have to replace the whole strainer housing and re attach the motor and inlet and outlet fitting etc.

Is there a compound I could use to repair the leak?, it seems to be a really small leak, just two small spits of water after the pump turned off, seems to be where the 2 halves of the housing meet, an obvious weak point.

Im hoping I can use some strong plastic water proof resin or something that will patch up those holes and I can move on.

I am sure this is the air leak because when i poured water over this area while the pump was running the air bubbles in the strainer pot stopped, when i removed the water the bubbles came back.

Its in a pretty hard to reach area, but I can get in there and use some repair compound to fix it.

Any advice as to what material would work best would be most appreciated.

thank you

I was curious about this. My first thought was JB Weld plastic epoxy. But, it says it doesn't work with certain plastics so I tried to Google what type of plastic the pump housing is made of and in my search I found this old TFP thread that says it doesn't work. But, they fixed their housing with a soldering iron, a couple of other people also chimed in with some ideas.
How to fix a cracked pump housing

I ended up using a plastic epoxy and silicone, did the trick, no more bubbles or sloshing water in the strainer basket. Only question is how long will it hold. Don't want to fork out $200 for the strainer assembly alone, but it could come to that one day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.