Digging This Week - How Deep Should Sunshelf Be & Where to Find Best Loungers?

Our plan is to dig a 25 x 60 foot pool, with the first 10 feet as a sunshelf for loungers and babies. We plan to have an automatic cover so we need loungers that can extend flat and fit under the cover (eliminates Ledge Loungers). 10 inches seems about right for babies to sit in the water but is it enough to stay wet in a lounger? Any idea where to get loungers that won't rust, are low enough to keep you wet in 10 inches (or whatever you recommend) and can extend flat for the auto-cover? Thanks for your help!

Re: Digging This Week - How Deep Should Sunshelf Be & Where to Find Best Loungers?

Welcome to the forum Susan! :wave:

We just ordered a set of $300 ( I think) loungers from Amazon not being that picky. Others who've put in shelves can answer that better than me,mand some of them should be along shortly. I just wanted to welcome you, and say we hope you enjoy the forum.

Re: Digging This Week - How Deep Should Sunshelf Be & Where to Find Best Loungers?

Wow! That's a really big pool! We would love to see pics of your design and yard. Remember, babies won't be babies for very long so keep that in mind when deciding shelf depth.

Welcome to TFP!

That has been a popular subject the last few weeks. 9"-12" seems to be the concensus, although some have gone 12"-18" more like a bench. All I know is that ours is 6ish and is too shallow, more would have been better.

Thank you so much for your responses! We have adult children who really want the sunshelf to lounge in, which is why we extended the 50' to 60 '. We are trying to decide between a 12 inch level sunshelf and one that would slope from 6 inches to 12 inches. Any thoughts? The next issue is the drop-off to the shallow. Our PB suggested one step of a 12 inch drop, which would mean dropping 24 inches to the beginning of the shallow which is 3 feet - not sure how wide the step should be? But I am thinking that people sitting on the sunshelf with their feet on that step with have their knees up in the air.

What do you think about a 2 foot drop and then little wedding cake steps in each corner for those who want steps. That way people could dangle their legs and lap swimmers wouldn't run into the steps. Is there a problem with this I'm not thinking of?

We are driving to Atlanta today to look at tile. Any ideas where to look for loungers?

Thanks for all your help!

Mine is 9". Covers you 3/4 deep when laying on it directly. Good for little kids that come over since they can walk around on it easily and sit in a nice pool of water. Nice to sit on the edge of it and dangle legs. With a lounger, I'd say you just barely get wet. We use those folding liw Tommy Bahama beach chairs for a little more wet. Just how wet fo you want to be? Lol!

My sister has a beach entry and then after about 6-8" it drops to about 3' or so. No issues that I see. I like the sound of your whole setup.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.