New pool in upstate NY...I've never owned a pool before so I'm looking for advice

Yes. From a practical standpoint, I have 6 year old twins. The placement the other way didn't look like it was actually on the shelf but was more over the shallow water?

It depends on the age and height of the kids but I would put bubblers on the shelf for the kids or put the deck jets more fully over it to lessen chances of them falling in to play with them.

Visually it just looked really really pretty on the back. Lol

Thanks for the explanation, I did not think about the kids falling in to play with them. I can't have bubblers on the shelf because it is too deep. I think I'm going to have one splash there since I should be able to turn them if an adult is there that does not want to be splashed and my little ones will be able to have a "safe" place to play with them.

I just opened a photo bucket account to add some more pictures so lets see if this works. I am now looking for advice on the deck that currently looks like this:

There are steps on the top right leading into this space with a retaining wall on both sides. The long wall on the left is 26 ft long and is where I'm guess all of the patio furniture will go. I am trying to make space for 2 loungers, a seating area (I like those half circle ones with the table in the middle like this:

I'd like advice on everything, I've never had a pool so I am not sure what I would need or should have space for. I can modify the deck to a degree we are a bit limited on space on the right and left.
I am wondering if the solar cover (and reel) can fit on the 13 ft side. can I fold the steps part of the solar cover in and then roll the cover to that side so that it is only in one place?

Thanks Kim, hopefully I'll get some advice about the solar cover, I copied this over to the backyard oasis group to see if it would fit better there.

I came home this afternoon to this beautiful sight!

and after I came inside after taking pictures:

Just so you know and do not think that I'm a terrible parent, he has never climbed on the windowsill before....this is going to be so much fun for him and he has no idea!!

I was told that they are starting on Monday...I can't wait!

By the way, I posted my deck information on a new thread in backyard oasis but I'm thinking that I'd like to keep everything together so I'm going to post the latest picture here so it is all together. Please let me know if you have any comments or advise. I'm just wondering about the asymmetry that is there on the two walls coming off of the stairs since I increased the deck to 10 ft on the right. If I make them symmetric then I lose length on the long wall where I also have furniture....I really like having that extra space that the 10 ft on the right affords, will the asymmetry throw the whole thing off? thanks!

I have to have things pretty symmetrical too and this looks fine to me!

Yea for getting started!!

Just so you know and do not think that I'm a terrible parent, he has never climbed on the windowsill before....this is going to be so much fun for him and he has no idea!!

This made me lol. Bad parent? At that age my monkey was climbing the top of his tall dresser (much higher than that window sill and bolted to the wall). People looked at me like I was crazy for letting him and it really freaked them out. But he was GOOD at it and I preferred he be comfortable doing it, then do it when I was out of the room and be more likely to have an accident.

There is nothing wrong with him being on that window sill. Boys love to climb and we just have to teach them to use good judgement!! He's going to have a blast in that pool!

Looks good to me! When your standing right there, it will look great!

Thanks, that is reassuring

I have to have things pretty symmetrical too and this looks fine to me!

Yea for getting started!!

This made me lol. Bad parent? At that age my monkey was climbing the top of his tall dresser (much higher than that window sill and bolted to the wall). People looked at me like I was crazy for letting him and it really freaked them out. But he was GOOD at it and I preferred he be comfortable doing it, then do it when I was out of the room and be more likely to have an accident.

There is nothing wrong with him being on that window sill. Boys love to climb and we just have to teach them to use good judgement!! He's going to have a blast in that pool!

Thanks for the story and the understanding of what little boys like to do, how old is he now and does he still like to climb?

I talked to my landscaper yesterday and he was not to pleased with my changes but I need a final plan from him, I asked him to bring the final plan on Monday when they begin (what was I thinking! I should have demanded it sooner, but I feel like I am asking too much of people when it gets to this point). At least I'm ok with where the pool is going so I have a bit more time on the deck.

That CUTE picture made me smile! I thought "How cute! She put the bench there for him so that if he does fall it will softer!" LOL

How forget about BOYS being the only ones to climb! I was a climber and still am if given the chance! Bigger tree=ME up at the top! LOL

Kim

Thanks for the story and the understanding of what little boys like to do, how old is he now and does he still like to climb?

Oh, yes! He's 6 now and climbs everything. Even on top of the refrigerator if he wants something and isn't patient enough to ask. Once when I asked him why he didn't ask for help, he told me, "Mom, you're short. You can't reach it either and I climb better than you." Sigh. It was a good point. [emoji23] lol. I was a climber as a kid too. We installed an IKEA climbing ladder in our play room so now he literally climbs the walls!

How forget about BOYS being the only ones to climb! I was a climber and still am if given the chance! Bigger tree=ME up at the top! LOL

Kim

Haha Kim! You're so energetic in personality that I am completely not surprised!!

I have twin boys but only one is a climber. The other prefers his feet firmly on the ground. Lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That CUTE picture made me smile! I thought "How cute! She put the bench there for him so that if he does fall it will softer!" LOL

Kim

kim..I climbed to the top of a tree once and was scared to climb down so I was stuck up there for an hour until my mom came looking for me and talked me down...I didn't climb too high after that.

Oh, yes! He's 6 now and climbs everything. Even on top of the refrigerator if he wants something and isn't patient enough to ask. Once when I asked him why he didn't ask for help, he told me, "Mom, you're short. You can't reach it either and I climb better than you." Sigh. It was a good point. [emoji23] lol. I was a climber as a kid too. We installed an IKEA climbing ladder in our play room so now he literally climbs the walls!

Haha Kim! You're so energetic in personality that I am completely not surprised!!

I have twin boys but only one is a climber. The other prefers his feet firmly on the ground. Lol

what a cute story and clearly demonstrates your sons thoughtfulness!

Update...our pb came out yesterday to confirm the placement and elevation of the pool with our landscaper...all went well and I felt good about the whole thing the pb and landscaper left but then his guys started up acting the equipment and moving it around to organize averything. They seemed really careless with everything. They ended up dropping my heater from about knee height onto its corner. There is an indicator on the box that the delivery company told me to keep an eye on because it should not be tipped or dropped) I looked at that after they left and it clearly shows that it had been dropped. My husband is insisting that I say something but I hate things like this, we haven't even started yet and I hate to begin on a bad note. I wrote them an email last night requesting a new one but this is not fun.

Update...our pb came out yesterday to confirm the placement and elevation of the pool with our landscaper...all went well and I felt good about the whole thing the pb and landscaper left but then his guys started up acting the equipment and moving it around to organize averything. They seemed really careless with everything. They ended up dropping my heater from about knee height onto its corner. There is an indicator on the box that the delivery company told me to keep an eye on because it should not be tipped or dropped) I looked at that after they left and it clearly shows that it had been dropped. My husband is insisting that I say something but I hate things like this, we haven't even started yet and I hate to begin on a bad note. I wrote them an email last night requesting a new one but this is not fun.

Just channel me.................OR let me talk to them.........If possible be OUT where they can see you the next time they are there OR even better ask for a different crew as your faith in them is "damaged" just like your heater!

Head up, shoulders straight, eyes looking in eyes as you speak.........that alone will help you get through to them as it shows you are in control just using body language.

HUGS! We will get you through this!

Kim

I know it isn't pleasant but it is necessary. You paid for that equipment and it should be installed in new condition. The PB will understand that and want to make it right. You saw them drop it and the indicator backs that up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just channel me.................OR let me talk to them.........If possible be OUT where they can see you the next time they are there OR even better ask for a different crew as your faith in them is "damaged" just like your heater!

Head up, shoulders straight, eyes looking in eyes as you speak.........that alone will help you get through to them as it shows you are in control just using body language.

HUGS! We will get you through this!

Kim

Thanks kim! I'll try to remember the body language thing the next time....that is good to keep in mind.

I know it isn't pleasant but it is necessary. You paid for that equipment and it should be installed in new condition. The PB will understand that and want to make it right. You saw them drop it and the indicator backs that up.

. Thanks for putting this into perspective, I was feeling bad all night about upsetting them.

as it turned out, they were great! One of the three guys admitted to dropping the box after they confronted them (two of them were lifting it). I knew there was a reason I hired this company. It was no problem at all. I still just want this project finished though, I hate dealing with all of this stuff.

as it turned out, they were great! One of the three guys admitted to dropping the box after they confronted them (two of them were lifting it). I knew there was a reason I hired this company. It was no problem at all. I still just want this project finished though, I hate dealing with all of this stuff.

That is SO awesome to hear! Nice company and good job on your part! SWEET!

Kim

Good job!!! Just remember that you are the one spending the money. They should be worried about upsetting you. Not the other way around! I'm glad they handled it well (as any good builder should!)

I know you feel relieved now. Enjoy it!

Here is a question about plumbing. We paid to upgrade the plumbing to 2" throughout. Now that they have unpacked some of the materials I noticed a lot of 1" pipe. I asked the pb about this and he said that the returns are all 1" (or did he say1.5"). Anyway, he said that the tubing has to be decreased before the returns so he splits a 2" into two 1" for 2 returns. Does this make sense? It makes sense to me if that is what the returns have to be, I just feel like I spent all of this time figuring out flow based on 2" tubing and now want to make sure it is going to be installed correctly. Thanks..

It is probably 1-1/2. Yes, the return stubouts need to be 1-1/2. Returns are usually plumbed to a loop around the pool and each return feeds to the pool off that loop. This equalizes the pressure so that the returns all have about the same flow.

You may already be set on it, but I do agree that the functionality afforded by the 10' at the right trumps any possible symmetry issues in this case. The symmetry item doesn't even rise to minor on my scale. Not having enough depth on the deck to have a lounge laid out flat and still having 3'+ to walk past would be punishment for me.

It is probably 1-1/2. Yes, the return stubouts need to be 1-1/2. Returns are usually plumbed to a loop around the pool and each return feeds to the pool off that loop. This equalizes the pressure so that the returns all have about the same flow.

thanks that makes sense and fits what they have delivered for plumbing.

You may already be set on it, but I do agree that the functionality afforded by the 10' at the right trumps any possible symmetry issues in this case. The symmetry item doesn't even rise to minor on my scale. Not having enough depth on the deck to have a lounge laid out flat and still having 3'+ to walk past would be punishment for me.

Glad to have your opinion. I have to recalculate the area but we now have about 1900 sq ft of deck, up from about 1200. Is that ridiculous? The cost certainly is but I'm worried about it looking like too much concrete.

digging begins today! I'm so excited to get this started at last. I'm excited to see it all come together and to be over as well! I'll post pictures later today of the transformation. I'm also excited because my brother in law came over yesterday with his brush hog and made about a half mile of paths in my woods (we have been wanting to do this for a while) it is great timing because now my kids will have somewhere to play outside during the construction.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.