Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Thinking of upgrading to a sand filter.....

1. Back To Top    #1

Thinking of upgrading to a sand filter.....

Hello:

I currently have a Sta-Rite Catridge Filter system. It is time to replace the filter cartidge about $150.00. So, I am thinking a sand filter would be an easy and better care of my pool. I have some questions though...

My pool is a 28' round AG pool. I have a 1.5 hp Waterway pump. What size sand filter would I need?

When you "backwash" where does the backwash go? Backwashing sure sound easier than pulling the filter to wash it out.

Your thoughts?

Sincerely,

Ikymojoe
    30' Above Ground Allegro (22,000 gal), 1.5hp WaterWay HiFlo Pump, Sta-Rite Catridge Filter, Polaris 65 auto cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Thinking of upgrading to a sand filter.....

Bigger filters are generally better. I would look for something that takes 200 lbs of sand or more.

The backwash water goes where ever you run the backwash hose to, the lawn, the sewer, a dry well, whatever works for your situation.

No question, backwashing is easier. On the other hand, sand filters don't get as many of the really really fine particles out as cartridge filters do. Some people can't tell the difference, others can.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

A sand filter is quite easy to operate and causes the least problems of the three major types. It also filters the coarsest but a properly balanced pool will absolutely sparkle with a sand filter.

A key item in the selection is to get one that's oversized for your pump. That pump is probably rated around 60 gph or so. A good sand filter match would be one rated pretty close to 80 gph or a little more.

Backwashing goes out of the system to wherever you pipe it. Down the drain, into the back yard, etc. It's up to you to direct the backwash where you want it.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Wow - $150 for a new cart filter? Sure you can't find a Unicel version a little cheaper?
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

5. Back To Top    #5

Never had a cartridge filter but used both a DE and sand filter. In my opinion, the sand filter is more economical and much easier to maintain. Regarding water clarity, I saw no difference. My sand filter is over 20 years old, has never had a sand change and the water sparkles.
    15x30 IG vinyl liner pool, pool cage
    Hayward S-220T high rate sand filter and Hayward super pump w/1hp motor
    Hayward SwimPure Plus SWG
    Polaris 380 cleaner and booster pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Since cartridge filters don't need to be backwashed, you likely don't have a drain line as part of your current set-up. I suppose when you switch from the cartridge to the sand filter you will have to plumb your drain line.
    20K inground gunite w/ Aqua Logic automation and chlorination Sta-Rite 400 K natural gas heater and cartridge filter 2 HP pump 1.5 HP spa bubbler for spillover spa 1 HP dedicated Letro Legend cleaner
    H2O: two parts Heart and one part Obsession. ~Author Unknown