HDX/PoolMaster Kits to Test PH - Not a good idea

Jaimslaw

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
San Diego, CA
Probably already been covered before but HDX (Home Depot) and Poolmaster’s Basic 5 Way test kit PH comparator / color blocks are way off (HDX and Poolmaster being the same test kit).

Discovered this when I got around to playing with my PH test meters. After calibrating both meters, I pegged my pool water’s PH at 7.5 (7.54 & .7.56 on the meters). Here’s a pic of the test water showing on the Taylor K-1000 color/comparator block - a remarkably close/accurate color match.

Taylor%20Test%20Block_zpslpdyuzoj.jpg

I then tested the same water using the HDX and the PoolMaster test kits, shown here:

Test%20Kits_zpsxy8iwe1a.jpg

Here is the results of that test:

HD%20Test%20Block2_zpsq2cui5bs.jpg

As can be seen in the picture, these two comparator blocks have that 7.5 meter verified PH water up around the 7.8 color band.

I then added some “PH Down” to the water in very small increments and, after a couple of testing go rounds, got the test water to coincide with the HDX/Poolmaster comparator block’s 7.6 color (being more of an orange than red color). I re-calibrated my PH meters and tested that water. It came in at a surprisingly low value of 7.11 / 7.18.

For the better part of eight years, I used that HDX kit (heck, HD is my home-away-from-home on weekends - what don’t I buy there?). So for that time frame, I unknowingly was maintaining my PH numbers in a much lower PH level than what is optimal. I switched to TF-100 last summer following my replaster.

Less a reaffirmation of the wisdom of TF-100's choice of Taylor's PH test kits and more of a head’s up to those who may still be relying on the HDX/Poolmaster kit for their PH testing.

Of course I have a dog in the fight, but the Taylor K-2006 and the TFTestkits TF-100 (same reagents) continue to prove themselves over and over.

Trying to "beat" them is likely a waste of your time and could cost you some cash if you believe pool store and off-brand testing.

For one, the HD where I live has this stuff outside. Not in the sun, but it is outside with the heat and humidity of summertime. So no way would I trust them to give you a correct reading. HD is a good place to get MA or 3 inch tabs(you can get just one at a time)but for pool testing materials. Nope!

For one, the HD where I live has this stuff outside. Not in the sun, but it is outside with the heat and humidity of summertime. So no way would I trust them to give you a correct reading. HD is a good place to get MA or 3 inch tabs(you can get just one at a time)but for pool testing materials. Nope!

And who knows how old they are to boot.

What was your FC when you took these samples?

With winter water temps, I let my FC drift down to between 3 and 4 ppm.

[High FC readings (~10) can darken the PH reagent solution - however if my water had been at a high FC level when testing occurred, that would have caused a noticeably darkened test color with the Taylor K-1000 test sample as well].

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.