Why do you post?

I was mostly an occasional lurker after I joined a couple of years ago. We didn't even have a pool, but I loved looking at all of the builds. After I was brave enough to make my first post (Kim had made a pun but didn't know it!) last year, I was welcomed whole heartedly into the fold. I decided to try and learn as much as I could, just in case hubby ever agreed to the pool. Now we have a contract signed! I feel this site is helping me so much with all the decisions we have made already and will have to make later on. I am still amazed at the knowledge y'all have! I post because I want newbies to feel as welcomed as I was and hopefully I will be able to pass along any knowledge my old brain has retained!

We bought this house with a pool in August. This is our first pool so we're complete newbs with pool maintenance but are both engineers. I have learned so much from reading posts on this site and enjoy sharing knowledge I have from outside the pool world.

I joined this forum right before I decided to build our own pool. I had construction experience and had built a couple pools previously (for a friend and a neighbor) that I really enjoyed being apart of. I have a very small construction side business that I am able to do a few projects a year on my days off from my primary job.

I knew once my pool was finished, I did not want anyone other than myself to take care of it. I've always had the mindset that if anyone can do it, why can't I? I attended a Certified Pool Operators course because I figured if I could understand the workings of maintaining a commercial pool, I could certainly run my own. After the course, I was even more confused and had more questions than I did prior to it. I had no knowledge of chemistry past a high school class that I didn't pay any attention to anyway.

It seemed every google search led me to this site. I was blown away. It almost became a game for me to think of a question that hadn't already been asked, and there were very very few. I have been on other forums before (not to this extent) for basic information, but I've never seen anything like this one, and I got hooked. I was especially impressed with JasonLion when he was here. It seemed he answered every question before anyone else could get to it and knew just about everything.

This site is solely responsible for the pool knowledge that I have today. Its the selfless care and sharing of information from complete strangers (often hundreds of miles and several states away) that could easily demand a price for their knowledge and expertise that make this place what it is.

I was especially impressed with JasonLion when he was here. It seemed he answered every question before anyone else could get to it
I'll teach you the secret.... If it is someone's first post only the Moderators can see it. That generally gives us first crack at most new questions. jason was on a lot so he got a lot of first answers in.

I grew up with a pool built by my Dad back in the 50s. Big ole concrete pool that he painted every year or so. It's was a beautiful ole thing but since there wasnt much knowledge of pool chemtry back then it was often cloudy and burnt our eyes. I never did any pool maintenance other than pretending to vacuum and throwing in some granulated chorline when he told me to. Forward 45 yrs I finely got a pool of my own after longing for the one I grew up with. (Dads been gone 28 yrs..old pool still there and going strong). Needless to say I had no idea how to take care of one. Was pool stored the first year until I found this site. What a God send!! Ive never met so many unselfish caring people that don't have anything to gain other than self satisfaction in helping other people. I jump in every now in then when I think I can help but still consider myself a new by and don't want to either give the wrong info or appear foolish. Best forum on the net by far!

I am just an old hand at message boards- my son proudly tells his Google co-workers that his mom was using NNTP newsgroups in the early years of its existence in nursing and cooking forums. AOL asked me to be one of their Hosts and I moderated some professional nursing chats and forums. I like to "chat" and help if I can and since I work PM shifts it provided me a bit of "social" outlet when not working yet I was awake at odd times of the day.

When we got our new pool, after the first pool store test and the resident pool store chemist had us put too much of some chemical (forgot which now) in and he admitted his mistake, I thought that it was time for me to be an informed consumer and my research brought me here.

The TFP method made so much sense! It is scientifically based and frugal, always a plus in my book!

Because this was the one and only place that helped me when the pool store kept "pool storing" me. I lived in Illinois (have since moved to Indiana) so I was "seasonally active". I tried to learn all I could via here and my own experimentation and share what I could when I was here more. The stickies and pool school are incredible resources.

We sold our house with the pool that we built, but are talking about a build here in Indianapolis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian, I have never been part of any other forum ever. Came here looking for info much like most folks. I would read post after post, looking for what i was looking for, and occasionally,
someone would ask a question I knew the answer to. And it just kept going...and going...and going..... It didnt take long, and I was hooked on TFP and helping others out. And so here I am.

Good to see you joining in. I think it's great!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just after the stone age, I spent 20 years in the USAF as an electronics technician. During this time, I found I really liked to troubleshoot. Fast-forward until now and I find I do more budgeting than troubleshooting. Posting here allows me to do two things at once. I get an opportunity to try my hand at troubleshooting again, and I get to learn something new almost every time I try and answer a question.

I also like the fact that the people here are adults and act that way.

If I keep this up until I'm 105, I should know about 1% of what the current set of TFP guides and mod Squad members already know. :study:

Thanks for having such a great website.

Jim R.

Brian, I have never been part of any other forum ever. Came here looking for info much like most folks. I would read post after post, looking for what i was looking for, and occasionally,
someone would ask a question I knew the answer to. And it just kept going...and going...and going..... It didnt take long, and I was hooked on TFP and helping others out. And so here I am.

Good to see you joining in. I think it's great!

Glad you are here. You've definitely helped me along the way and I've learned plenty from your guidance for others as well.

I'm here to learn and I love helping people- although I'm not at a helpful stage in my knowledge yet. Although my husband and I both signed the contract, I'm really taking the majority of the workload, and I'm ok with that. However, I have no prior experience and need expert guidance. I kinda had an idea that pool stores are out to sell you things and we can't afford a service. I would hire a housekeeper first, lol!
Now that building and owning a pool is becoming a reality (or WILL be once the utility people play nice), I'm grateful that I found this forum and the amazingly friendly, helpful and knowledgeable people that frequent it.
My husband's frequent inquiry to me is, "Are you pooling it, honey?" whenever he sees me on my phone. Most of the time my answer is yes :)

And, like looking at model homes and such (which I enjoy), I LOVE seeing everyone else's pools. They are all so unique and beautiful-like children.

Love stone soup and the Little Red Hen. Lessons I remember well!

Well Stackbarrel, its time for you to log in and post some pictures of that pool...A LOT of pictures, I'd like to see the equipment and the gas injection as well. I'm going to need a pyrex dish in front of me to catch the drool.

It's nothing compared to yours. Your pool is so bad***!! Mine is just big but I can barely see how to use forums much less taking pictures. I don't even like the smart phones. Still use a flip cause it has better signal.

Well, I post mostly to seek the seasoned advice of people like you guys, but I also like to ooh and ahh over other people's builds and encourage those going through the process. It seems like not everyone can appreciate what it takes to build a pool or maintain one to the high yet simple standards promoted here, but most everyone here is on the same page, so it makes sharing really gratifying.

So thanks to everyone who contributes and makes this site what it is! I can say without a doubt, that we would not have entertained an owner build if it had not been for this friendly and helpful site.

Jamie said my sentiments perfectly! I love TFP!

What an awesome bump, I must have missed this one in the winter slumber :)

I started researching Spa's and pools, and after about 20 Google searches and 90% sent me to this site I was hooked... I am also a forum junkie I guess, 2 Yamaha Boat forums, VW forum and Camaro forum member but I really love this site and everyone here, it makes me feel good being able to help someone and seeing others helping out...

I have helped people through a SLAM but because I found all this wonderful information before I even put in a pool I have not needed to do one yet :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.