Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: priming the pump

1. Back To Top    #1

priming the pump

I've done a search but couldn't find th answer to this question, sorry if I missed it.

What is the best way to prime the filter after I've taken out the cartridge for cleaning? I have used a hose but that just seems to send the water back in the pool and not fill up the filter area.
    30x18 inground plaster/pebble with spa
    Hayward cartridge filter C751 1.5 hp pump
    In line tablet chlorinator
    Heat pump heater
    Aqua Logic wireless controls

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: priming the pump

If all is plumbed properly all you should have to do is close it all back up and turn the pump back on. It should fill the filter canister up on its own. If your pump lost its prime then that is a different story.

Mike
    Kidney shaped ~ 10000 gallon Ig Plaster pool with pool cage. 120sf Cartridge filter. Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-26, 230 Volt, 7.8/3.0 Amp, 1-1/2 Horsepower 2 speed pump, Solar panels on the roof. Heliotrope HelioMatic 4000D solar controller.

3. Back To Top    #3

Mostly you just turn the pump on. Once the pump us running, you should open the vent on top of the filter and let all the air out. When water starts running out, you close the vent again.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

It does fill again once I close it up but I was worried about running it with all that air in the tank. I guess I could close off the returns to keep it from draining out. That is if I can turn those valves, they have been in the same position for 3 years.
    Heat pump heater

5. Back To Top    #5

There is a bleed at the top of filter tank, turn pump on, open bleed until water comes out. Close bleed and carry on.
    Kidney shaped ~ 10000 gallon Ig Plaster pool with pool cage. 120sf Cartridge filter. Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-26, 230 Volt, 7.8/3.0 Amp, 1-1/2 Horsepower 2 speed pump, Solar panels on the roof. Heliotrope HelioMatic 4000D solar controller.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Mostly you just turn the pump on. Once the pump us running, you should open the vent on top of the filter and let all the air out. When water starts running out, you close the vent again.

AH HA!
    Heat pump heater