Pipe leaking from On/Off handle. Any idea what to do?

c313

Jan 9, 2016
Oxnard/CA
So for starters my family just bought a house. Came with a pool and I am/we are still noobs when it comes to pools. So far everything has been fine for about 2 months then we noticed water coming from the pipe that controls water to the Water Fall. Leak only occurs when the pump system is on. Upon further inspection the leak is coming from the bottom of the on/off handle. I have no clue if the handle can be removed and ultimately replaced or what to expect when it is removed. Just figured I'd come here and ask before I do anything in hopes you fine people know of anything that can help me.

I took some pics of it so you can see first hand.

The pipe with the issue
24awdjb.jpg

Pic of the leaking in action. Red circle is where the water is leaking down from.

2s6sysj.jpg

So does anyone know what is needed to stop this leak? Can the handle be removed and replaced with a different one? Or is there some material that can be putt on the area to stop the leaking? Again the leak only occurs when the pump system is operating. And leaks only from the bottom part of the handle. Just slowly flows down and creates a puddle where the concrete is broken into for the lever to turn. Opened or Closed it still leaks, we usually keep it closed though. If there is anything more you'd like to know please let me know.

Any info is greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Hi and welcome. You might try majic lube or any silicone lube at the base of the handle try turning on/off and forcing lube behind handle. Unfortunately they didn't give you much room to replace that ball valve. The top looks like slip joint threads, but the bottom can't tell without chipping concrete away. If you cut it out, get a valve that is repairable, like Jandy. I would like to know what you do! If you don't use the waterfall would be simple to plug.

It looks to me like a non-serviceable pvc ball valve shut off, so removal/replacement is your only option.

Hopefully, there is enough pvc pipe coming out of the concrete after cutting the pvc pipe at the bottom of the shut off component. You'll need enough pipe remaining (coming out from the concrete) to glue one end of a new pvc ball shut off valve to. If not you will need to chip down into the concrete to expose some more pvc. Same on the other end...i.e., hopefully there is enough pvc pipe remaining after cutting off that old 90 degree elbow to get a pvc union onto it..if not, you'll need to repipe further upstream so to speak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.