Pump on for 30 seconds, off for 30 seconds

Jan 8, 2016
Coppell, TX
I have a Pentair Challenger Pump and salt water pool with fountain water feature (no spa). The water feature will slow down for 30 seconds and then be normal for 30 seconds, on and on while the pump is on. While looking at the pump, the water is whirling around great for the 30 seconds the pump keeps its prime and then for 30 seconds the water goes down and makes a humming sound but isn't swirling around like it should. I replaced the O ring with lubricant, just in case it wasn't holding the suction but that didn't fix it. I don't think it was the O ring to begin with but I figured it was a cheap and easy way to eliminate that issue.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

From your description, it is difficult to analyze the issue but you gave me a clue.

Anytime it is rhythmic, it is possible the pool water is too low and air is getting sucked into the system through the skimmer. It's a long shot but maybe you can look at your skimmer and see if it's sucking air.

^^^ This.

Your pump primes, it sucks the skimmer well dry, it sucks air and loses prime. Then the skimmer well fills up again because the pump isn't pumping, then the pump primes... and so on. Look for a sticking weir door or just low water level.

Oh, and since it's your first post.... Welcome :wave:

Thank you. Not sure why that didn't cross my mind to begin with. I am filling up the pool and will see if that corrects itself. I figured it has rained so much the last couple months, I didn't need to fill it. I will let you know an update. I hope that is it! Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.