Leak or Evaporation?

Mar 30, 2015
Dallas, Texas
Build completed in September for an IG 17k gallon pool. I feel like I am having to constantly add water. In the heat of September/October (it was still well in the 90's here in N. Texas) I was filling every 3 days. Now I'm filling probably every 5 to 7 give or take.

Our pool has literally no shade at all, and we are a lot of open land so there is a ton of wind with no shield against the breeze. I'm not sure if these conditions would have an effect.

Anyway, I would guess I'm losing around a 1/4" a day which I have read can be normal evaporation....However, I really did thing this would slow down in the winter.

Do you think there is a leak, or considering no shade and the wind, is filling the pool this often normal?

Wind affects evaporation more than temperature, in my experience.

The way to be sure is to set a plastic bucket on the steps and fill it with water. Mark the pool level and the bucket level on the the bucket. Check it after a day. You should see similar rates of evaporation on either side of the bucket wall.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.