Testing Tap Water

Hi guys,

Due to some overly hot days here over the last few days I have understandably lost more pool water than usual due to evaporation (its over 40 degrees Centigrade here today)

I've currently got the hose in the pool topping it up and it occurred to me that it might be useful to measure the water going in for some basics to see how that might affect my overall balance.
Here's what I got by testing the tap water:

pH: > 8
TA: 20
CH: 20

My pool values tested at the same time are:
FC: 7.5
pH: 7.4
TA: 60
CH: 90
CYA: 52

I'm going to do another test after I finish topping up and see how the numbers pan out.

Regarding the tap water numbers:
- Do they look OK?
- Anything I need to be wary of?
- Any other tests worth doing on tap water?

Am I right in thinking that I can expect to see pH in the pool rise as a result of this top up?

Just keep an eye on the pH, that's all that I see. It probably won't raise that much, but if you test after the refill and gauge the amount it water you added, you will know what to expect in the future.

Some areas have some FC or CC in the water. Wouldn't hurt to check that just so you know.

For the relatively small amount added compared to the total volume of the pool I don't think those numbers are going to have a huge impact on anything that you are currently doing.

Importantly the TA of your tap water is low so that with a relatively stable TA level in the pool you shouldn't see an abnormal change to your current practice of maintaining the correct ph levels with the addition of muriatic acid.

Nice Melbourne tapwater!!

I doubt you'll see a change in your pH due to tap water addition. It's more like that any noticeable increase whould be due to regular chlorination rather than the tap water. The published typical water analysis has a pH closer to you pool water plus you've got the alkalinity to hold it steady.

Error

Cheers, Steve.

Edit: no idea why that water quality link says error:confused:

Moments after I posted I thought that too, that the water quality parameters are at the source and not what you may expect at home but I wouldn't think there would be much variance. Those values are the typical analysis, from a point in time, and not the same sample you tested. The water is under preasure since leaving the storage point and I think the pH would tend to drop a little if it's allowed to settle and degas a bit. The variance in pH is small an not worth worrying about.

TA and CH are much the same as your results and lower than your pool which is much better than if it were higher. Our CH tests are essentially total hardness tests and you sometimes see hardness referred to as total hardness. By topping up you are diluting your TA, TH and CYA a tad but at arround 1-2% of the total volume I doubt you'll notice any difference.

We do tend to take our water for granted some times, those figures are pritty typical for most of Australia. The TDS is as low as 36 from one source but in general all those figures are a bit beyond the average person and again, just a point in time. The river and catchment health and in particular the macroinvertebrates for me give a longer term health and water quality indication. Looking at the Yarra there is a decline through the system but for a populated area the system and water quality is really quite good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My partner actually used to work for one of the water companies in Qld and according to her the amount of "treatment" that water gets between leaving storage and being delivered to your home is incredible. Evidently its a constant series of treatments and "washes" to deal with all sorts of impurities.

At the end of the day, as long as I can measure what I'm putting in (out of interest) and what is in the pool (what really matters) then I'm in a good position I reckon !

I just noticed the "Esky full of coldies" in your sig - good work, an important part of any pool setup !!!

I do like my beer. Beer, BBQ's and lounging in the pool, makes for a good afternoon. It's even better now we've got the solar heating.:D

I wouldn't be to concerned about your tap water. Whist it's good to keep on top of your water quality it is easy to get carried away with testing and playing a game of chasing numbers, particularly when your new to it. It sounds like you've got it all under control. After many years I've gotten a bit lazy and don't test enough anymore. The other day I noticed the water looked a little cloudy so in with 300ml of acid and it was perfect again in the morning. Just had a full test done this arvo and I need 700ml of acid - no surprise there. Copper 0.2ppm (my tap water should be around 0.001ppm), phosphate 0ppb.

Cheers, Steve. :cheers:

Whist it's good to keep on top of your water quality it is easy to get carried away with testing and playing a game of chasing numbers, particularly when your new to it.

You're spot on Steve, I am new to this "proper" testing regime and I'm enjoying finally appearing to be in control or at least closer than I was before. Part of it is I want to practice my testing techniques and I thought it might be interesting to test the fill water as well, but I certainly don't plan to get too carried away with it.

Spent some time this afternoon exploring the local supermarket looking for the chemicals that I don't want to buy from the PS any more:
- Finally found washing soda - so I know where to go for that now.
- Couldn't find Borax - do we have that in Aus? My partner suggested I need to go to a larger supermarket than the one I was in.
- Checked out plain old bleach and was surprised to note that the cheap home brand bottle had *exactly* the same chlorine concentration as the brand name premium branded stuff next to it on the shelf. Both were at 4% and the premium brand name was 4 times more expensive than the home brand.

Do you have freshness codes on the bleach in AUS?

- - - Updated - - -

Borax might be 20 Mule Team in the laundry aisle.

Kind of yes and no. Our beaches often have warnings or are posted as closed if the water quality is questionable.

I'm out on a lim hear and really should read around a bit more before I ask but what is a 'mule team'?

Steve. :cheers:

Edit: I need to stop kidding myself and get glasses, that was bleach not 'beach', and no, no freshness codes that I've seen.

I think 'mule team 20' is the brand of borax in US. Marion I'm sure can confirm for us Aussies. You can get it in Bunnings guys under the brand name of Glitz. $10 a kilo.

For liquid chlorine they just print the date of manufacture on a sticker which attaches to the bottle.

I like beer too, but maybe I have had too many... Acid takes care of cloudiness? I am so confuzzled.

Depends on what causes the cloudiness, in my case the hardness was up and as the pH drifts up calcium can start to precipitate, the first sign is a very slight cloudiness.

Edit: thanks for the mule team info, that clears things up for me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.