Question about Algae

:goodpost:

100% Agree!

The problem here is inconsistency. Inconsistency in testing and inconsistency in pool care.

CRB,

You sound like someone who has to travel a lot (either for work or family) and it sounds like you are not able to care for your pool on a consistent basis. It has been said before but I will repeat it - The TFPC Method of pool care requires daily attention to your pool. It may not be more than 5 mins/day adding some chlorine in the morning and testing at night, but your pool requires it if you wish to practice the TFPC Method. There are no shortcuts.

Given your schedule, I believe you should seriously consider either installing a Stenner pump to automatically deliver chlorine everyday or a salt-water chlorine generator. Either of those automation options would be far and away much better for you and your pool. I know it is a significant investment upfront to make but, as it is now, you are wasting your money having to constantly SLAM your pool and keep the chlorine high because you can not consistently dose your water. Honestly speaking, even hiring a pool service company to take care of your pool would be better than what you are going through now.

As Casey said, there's nothing to do about it at the moment and even if the pool is green when you get back it's not hard to fix. But I do seriously urge you to consider getting some kind of automation on your pool.

Good luck,

Matt

Matt,

Thanks so much for the candid and direct input. That's actually a great idea and I'll look into it when I get back. I was actually hoping my schedule would get more by now as I really like to do the testing and pool care. I can at least get the info in place if I need to automate.

Chris

Others may not come out and say it (maybe they will :mrgreen: ) You more than likely will come home to green pool. We need you to get serious about this. The water behind your house has very little to do with your pool. It's a separate entity. Your main issue is lack of chlorine. If it's green, you have no chlorine. You have the perfect breeding ground for the green monster: sunlight, 88° water temp, and no protection. If you have a TF100 you should be using it.

We'll be here when you get back. No sense in having a fit over it now. If you have time while your away, you should read the ABC's of pool water chemistry in my signature along with the other links.

Casey,

Wow! My wife may fire me when I get back if it is green... and that may be a good thing!

Seriously, I really do very much appreciate the "direct talk" about this topic. Here's one thing I don't follow. How could my FC be zero if it never tests low? The lowest reading I've ever recorded was 1 ppm and that was only one time. Are you thinking when my levels are low they could actually be low in a very localized part of the pool? All the rest of your suggestions/comments are extremely helpful and thanks for taking the time to help and help me understand.

Chris

Wow! My wife may fire me when I get back if it is green... and that may be a good thing!

She needs to be your relief when you are out of town, if not, this pool will always be green.

How could my FC be zero if it never tests low? The lowest reading I've ever recorded was 1 ppm and that was only one time.

You can have an algae bloom with more chlorine than zero. I'd say 2 ppm, as recorded, would be low enough to invite a bloom.

Are you thinking when my levels are low they could actually be low in a very localized part of the pool?

At 2 ppm? Absolutely!

Grab a six pack, a chair, and a tennis ball. Pop a cool one, sit in the chair, and toss in the tennis ball. See how efficient a "lazy river" you have.....

How often you you run your pool cleaner? You may find that running it more often or longer may help stir things up if you do have some localized areas of low circulation. I probably don't need to, bu in the season I probably run my robot 5 days or more a week. He is in th ewater a lot.

How often you you run your pool cleaner? You may find that running it more often or longer may help stir things up if you do have some localized areas of low circulation. I probably don't need to, bu in the season I probably run my robot 5 days or more a week. He is in th ewater a lot.

+1 ^^^^^

Kreepy Krawly is in the pool and running 24X7. My default pool setup is that the suction side cleaner stays in and runs all the time the pump is on. KK only comes out if the pool during swim time. This certainly leads to more wear & tear on the cleaner and hoses but I prefer to have the pool surfaces clean and the water stirred up a bit more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

A SWG would be an excellent addition to your pool. Maybe :santa: will bring you one?! :mrgreen:

I only got the PoolCleaner about a week ago and man is it nice! I've run it almost every day and left it in the pool before I departed so it'll clean anytime the pump is on. Runs about 10 hrs per day right now. I had to reduce flow to it a little since it can climb right out and suck air into the pump. It always sort of fixes itself when the pump self primes but I didn't think it was a good idea to have this happen while I'm gone. I think I'll follow your advice though. PoolCleaner is pretty simple and parts aren't really that expensive. I'm happy to wear it out if it helps keep algae in check.

Chris

Yea, we don't want that ill bugger cleaning the pool deck unless he can clean the kitchen n bathroom too. :mrgreen:

If you have green and CC is 0, that lends a lot of credence to the posters suggesting poor circulation.....

Even though you are under a roof and get little sunshine, you probably need to opt for more CYA. That said, however, you need to find a way to level out the amount of chlorine in the water at all times. You cannot calculate that your pool will use [X] gallons of chlorine over a 2 week period and dump that amount in, expecting the chlorine to hang with you in a linear manner (especially with a low CYA). Chlorine has a half life and early in your absence the chlorine has already tanked, allowing the algae to get a foothold.

Looking at the month of December and the chlorine levels of 5+, I assume you are using the OTO test, which is not your friend. At a FC level of 5+ (which includes anybody with a CYA of 50+) the OTO test only indicates presence of FC and tells you nothing about CC. You really need more detailed documented data. To that end, let me suggest this excellent tool: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/73298-Jesse-s-Graphical-Pool-Testing-Log-%28Excel-spreadsheet%29

What kind of chlorinator do you have? When do you run your pool pump? What time of day do you typically test?

I realized this morning I never completely answered the last part of your question. I usually use the DPD FAS drop test for FC. As I got more comfortable with the pool I used the oto test occasionally and when my wife did testing once she did the oto. Also my chlorinator is a Rainbow in-line type that holds about 6 chlorine tablets max.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Folks,

Two pages of great advice in just a couple of days! I've gotten a lot of good info on the finer points of this TFP technique plus a number of options to evaluate that will help address ways for me to continue with the TFP method with my required travel as I wind down my consulting work. One thing I do also have is a remote based security system that allows me to at least view the pool from my cell phone or laptop. If it gets bad at least it won't be a surprise.

Many thanks!

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.