Balance pool chemicals

I test pool,pics n just toss it where ever accept in the pool. I've done this for years without issue. Then I rinse my stuff in the pool.

I always rinse the tubes with pool,water before and after testing. Its very rare that I test inside unless it's late at night.

Thank You to all. As soon as I get my TF100 kit I will send my readings. We are still getting rain and now snow so have not tested the Ch out of spigot but have not forgotten. I sure appreciate all the help. Marian Paroo, I did remove the floater as you suggested!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I received my TF100 test kit. I hope I am putting this info in my correct thread. If now I hope someone will tell me how to correct. Here are todays readings with new kit. I did have a problem with reading PH but will work on that. I used the Q7 to ck it.
FC 4.5
CC 0
PH with color Q 7.7
TA 90
CH 325 with color Q was testing in the 500 range??
CYA also need to work on but about 28
Pool Temp 42
Salt with your salt kit on 12-11-15 was 3400
From reading I think I look ok but would like a 2nd opinion Thank You and do like the test kits salt and TF100 just need practice

Your numbers look good to me (now that your are manually chlorinating) and I would trust the TF-100 number on the CH.

The CYA test is non-linear so just round your reading to the nearest '10'. You may not to do anything with CYA if your reading at 30 as the weather is cool in your part of the world.

Hi, Paulette! Congrats on the new testkit!

Plug your numbers into pool math and remember to make sure that you are a non-SWG (bleach is primary), troublefreepool.com take a look at your CSI. Tell us what you get. I'd like to check that you have PoolMath correctly set up.

Also, now you can test the water from the spigot you use to fill up your pool when it gets low. Let it run for a few minutes before taking your sample.

I did use pool math and with those numbers it said -0.12 balanced. Just wanted to be sure. Also I was surprised at the CH being so different. I thought I was way High at 500 plus. You said to trust the TF 100 kt so now I am a little low, is that ok. Should I put the Floater with pucks back in since my cya is low also?? Or just leave things as is??

Did you put salt at 0? I wasn't sure what to do with that salt number so I put it in.

CYA is probably fine for now. Next time you run the CYA, let the sample warm up to room temp and then take it back outside in full sun to test (if you didn't do that this time).

I did let CYA warm up but I did not test outside, I did it in front of the glass door. Should I be outside??? I did not remember that. I did put the salt reading in pool math, should I leave it out for now?? Also what do you think about the CH, am I ok??
Thank You!!

I put the salt number in too and came up with a different value. -0.35, which is still fine. I don't have time now to try to figure out the difference between us. I used 16500, 4.5, 7.7, 90, 325, 30, 3400, 42 as the now and target values.

Trust your CH test. At 325 you are fine. Also, your CYA should be just fine also at 30.

Yes, you should be outside with full sun to your back when you test CYA.

Your numbers appear fairly good. Don't feel the need to "chase" perfect numbers. You will find that your results will settle into a nice range. Plus, while numbers are "recommended", some pools behave differently. I keep my TA in the 40-50 range or my pH rises way too fast.

Just pour a glass of wine and relax. As long as you have your pH in a good place and the proper amount of chlorine based on your CYA nothing else is an emergency. Pool stores sell by fear. The tend to scare folks by saying you "have to do this now"...... That is seldom the case.

Tim, you are right. I worry too much and try to get the numbers perfect all at the same time. WINE a good idea! I noticed you have a Hot Springs Spa, I assume it is separate from the pool. We have one also. Should I use my TF100 test kit to test the spa also?? I better get to pool school and now try to work on the TFP spa. I have always used test strips with the spa until I found this site, now I am afraid of them. Have been so worried about the pool that I have neglected the spa for a while. Thank You for your in put and time.

Tim, you are right. I worry too much and try to get the numbers perfect all at the same time. WINE a good idea! I noticed you have a Hot Springs Spa, I assume it is separate from the pool. We have one also. Should I use my TF100 test kit to test the spa also?? I better get to pool school and now try to work on the TFP spa. I have always used test strips with the spa until I found this site, now I am afraid of them. Have been so worried about the pool that I have neglected the spa for a while. Thank You for your in put and time.
Yes, I use the same test kit for pool and spa. I have two water collection bottles provided by a pool store that I collect in and do all my testing at the sink.

Now, I have my spa set up a a chlorine spa rather than a bromine spa to make things easier on myself. Every few months when th pool is a little low I just drain the spa into the pool and start the spa over.

Read tis: How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.