Pressure gauge question...

Jumpin' Joan

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 6, 2015
Las Cruces, NM
Installed new gel filled pressure gauge (easier to read and shouldn't suffer random freezing temps) today followed by a thorough backwash/rinse to determine base reading.

No leaks are visible anywhere but the gauge is wavering between a bit less than 17.5 through 18 psi as opposed to holding steady as expected. Is this the norm or am I missing something?

PS: Did use plumber's tape and hand tightened only as directed.

My new glycerin filled gauge (purchased through TFP test kits) wavers about 1/2 lb also. I do not remember if my old cheapo gauge varied or not, wasn't looking for it. Could be that the old gauge was 0-60 lbs and the new one is 0-30 lbs so it might be registering pressure variation that was not noticeable with the old gauge.

I think you're right about increased sensitivity, gary300. Over the weekend, this new gel filled gauge is already registering 18-18.5 psi. It's a minimal increase but one which would never have been noticed on my old 60 lb. gauge. Thanks for your input!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.