Best setup for outdoor stereo system

We currently have a blockrocker we bought on eBay. It's not waterproof but it rolls around with a handle and wheels built in like luggage. It is so loud and my husband also uses it as a portable amp when he wants to plug in his guitar. The battery literally lasts for days. We are switching over to play-fi though for whole house audio. It's like Sonos but cheaper and the different brands that offer play-fi all work together. They have stand alone speakers, sound bars and also receivers you plug into your current system. We are currently planning the outdoor areas as we finish up our AG pool build and yard makeover. We are goung to use the Phorus PR5 play-fi reciever plugged into a older Yamaha receiver A/B wired to either 8 outdoor marine speakers or 4 outdoor house speakers. A up by the house and B by the pool and future fire pit.

I assume you already know this but wiring multiple speakers to a single output (channel) is a tricky dance at best. You are playing of game of balancing impedance vs voltage, the result of which is not what most home A/V amplifiers or speakers are rated for. Review the attached discussion for some of the basics, but try to ignore the typical "thread static" emmiating between a few of the posters. The end result is usually a blown amp or fried speaker coils at worst and marginal sound output at best.
Why is connecting multiple speakers to one output bad? - Ars Technica OpenForum

I assume you already know this but wiring multiple speakers to a single output (channel) is a tricky dance at best. You are playing of game of balancing impedance vs voltage, the result of which is not what most home A/V amplifiers or speakers are rated for. Review the attached discussion for some of the basics, but try to ignore the typical "thread static" emmiating between a few of the posters. The end result is usually a blown amp or fried speaker coils at worst and marginal sound output at best.
Why is connecting multiple speakers to one output bad? - Ars Technica OpenForum
The marine speakers are 4ohm and I was only going to use them because I already have them from when we redid our boats sound system. And I know it divides the sound from each channel of the amp. More than likely we will be buying 4 outdoor 8ohm speakers. One for each channel of the amp. I haven't completely planned the speaker placement out yet.

I don't think you can have enough speakers...

Here is my setup. 8 Polk ceiling mount speakers, 6 atriums, and 2 buried subs. I don't get to turn it up very often but when I do you can't escape the music!

These are powered by a 8,000W Pyle amp.

Shared album - Brian Davis - Google Photos

Love your set up. I also agree you can not have enough speakers. I run a pair of Bose Free Space 51's, 1 Niles RS 8 and 1 Niles RS 5 speaker all wired to a Yamaha N-301 in the house so I can have Zone A (around the patio) or Zone B (around the pool) or both like I usually do. Its a AirPlay receiver so I stream music from my MAc and can control everything from my iPhone or Apple watch. I love it.

Here is my setup. It's a Raspberry Pi with a Hifiberry DAC running Volumio the amp and speakers are a set from parts-express.com. The amp and raspberry pi are contained in a sprinkler box mounted to the same pole my pool light switch is on. With Volumio you can use a locally attached USB drive or I have it connected to my NAS via Wifi where all my music is at.

View attachment 48589

Speakers and Amp

Sprinkler Box

This is a cool setup and something I would definitly tinker with. However, I think after running through this thread trying to figure out the ideal solution for my needs the chromecast audio is the best fit for the entire family. I'll just replace the PI with the chromecast in this setup and give it a go. Question on the amp- Have you had issue with overheating in the box and do you know if it has any overheat protection built in?

Can't i just use my old receiver under the pavilion, couple of outdoor speakers wired in and mounted under the eaves, and a bluetooth adapter hooked into any of the inputs on the receiver?
That way it will play anything on my iPhone or iPad. iTunes, pandora, etc?

You sure can-------- as long as you realize that the receiver will absolutely hate the humidity and the range limitations of bluetooth, but it ain't that big of a deal to move it. Or is it?

My setup is completely different and way more simpler than any of these... I have a single, portable DJ/PA Bluetooth speaker with it's own internal amp. The original reason was to play scary stuff on the front porch during Halloween. But the thing has a handle, a 12 inch woofer, and is good in the back yard also. I just play whatever I want (usually a local pop radio station internet stream) on a Bluetooth laptop inside the house and it just works. Mono only, but very clear. And I have a sound conditioner app that makes it more pleasant. When you have 10 or 20 or more people in the yard swimming and cooking and talking, the need for stereo just kind of goes away. And I have never had to turn it up very far (many controls including volume on the back of the unit). I can even add a mic and mix in my opinions of the dives or whatever. But have not done that.

Hmmm, so if any of you are on a budget like I am, and don't want to spend thousands, or even hundreds, I bought the Vizio SB3821 soundbar and subwoofer from good ol' Costco for $99 (now the best I have seen is $129) and mounted the sound bar on my covered pergola between two outer 2x12 exposed headers whereas the sound is diffused and shoots down between the headers boards which are spaced. Though it is covered with a Lexan roof, I put a piece of plexi over the soundbar and mounted with 4" angle corner braces, then siliconed the bolts so no chance for water to blow in and drip down. The sub is by my grill in a built in grill rock area, under cover. It rocks, too loud as some old hag a few houses down came complaining, but I think it was because I had some country playing, haha. The key is the sub, it adds that bass I could not find in any weatherproof bluetooth speakers out there. This thing sounds awesome. So if your on a budget or just plain cheap like me but like quality sound, try this out. Listen if it breaks, Costco will take it back anytime, and it's only usually around $129 to replace, I can buy 30 of these systems compared to some others.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am utilizing my old Yamaha HTR 5830 5:1 amp connected to Bose 151 speakers in the flamingo lounge and Insigna Rock speakers out by the pool and a Jensen 12 inch 250 watt sub in the flamingo lounge. I have manual switches for volume control pool/ lounge located in the Flamingo lounge. We control all music via iphones (which have lifeproof cases) using BT logitech adapter https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-980-000910-Bluetooth-Adapter-Streaming/dp/B00IQBSW28/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491746982&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=logitech+bt+controller Our system is very PRIMITIVE and I am always on a tight budget however it rocks, the neighbors hear our music 3 houses away, we movies and NASCAR in 5:1 in the pool and sometimes we can feel the vibrations from the sub, by then we have had a few adult beverages :cheers:
BTW our dish remote works great when we are in the pool, but we have to put in a ziplock bag for protection as it has accidentally went swimming a few times.

Bose 151 hardwired in the Flamingo Lounge

Rock Speakers out by the pool area

Yamaha Amp

Jensen Sub

Speaker slide controls from home depot

Logitech BT controller

Dish remote

Well, to the OP "Best" is of course subjective. I'm quite happy with what I have as it hit's the key points of what I consider to make up a the "best" outdoor sound system.

1) Quality of sound with full frequency response. A set of small outdoor speakers will not give you the low end impact you need for full sound so larger "sub"woofers must be used. Must be tune-able to offset the acoustical challenges of an open air environment so it sounds crisp and punchy at all volume levels.
2) Power, and plenty of it to ensure distortion is not going to happen when your jamming out. A hardwired system is both the most cost effective and the most capable when it comes to this.
3) Control, easy for anyone to operate and include the ability to control individual zones.

I ended up with 1,500 watts of power driven through 15 JBL Control speakers. Great for background music or making ripples on the pool surface :) Sonos provides the remote control of volume/sources. Alexa voice control and an automation system provides control over power and zones. Just tell Alexa to turn on the outdoor speakers and she does the rest.

I don't have any real close up pics of the speakers (I just had back surgery so I can't go get them) but you can see some of the speakers in this shot:

Some more detail can be found in this video though this was shot before I added the voice control.

Vera Automation + Home Theater and Whole home indoor/outdoor audio walkthrough - YouTube

tcrote5516 I am so way out of your league:D, you definitely get the first place price for best stereo setup.:handwave: I wonder what your electric bill must be when you crank up the tunes:D I love your video :cheers:

I definitely think you may need to increase your main service to perhaps 250 - 300 amp service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tcrote...that is an impressive system! JBL's have always been my favorite speakers. I bet that sounds awesome. But, as I get older and deafer (what's that you said sonny?), the one benefit is that I am satisfied with lesser stuff. I do have 4 of those banging best buy rock speakers though...;)

Brentr I just upgraded from 150 to 200 amp based on actual load calculations to make sure I was covered. I thought I needed 250 but after the load calcs the 200 still gave me room to add a hot tub in the future which was a bit of a surprise. 200 amps is a lot of current in an otherwise efficient house with all new energy efficient appliances, inverter based HVAC and 100% LED lighting. Don't get me wrong, more is always a good thing but 200 amp is taking care of it.

Can't i just use my old receiver under the pavilion, couple of outdoor speakers wired in and mounted under the eaves, and a bluetooth adapter hooked into any of the inputs on the receiver?

That is similar to what I am doing. I have a Christmas light show in my front yard where the lights are synchronized to music which is transmitted over FM radio so people driving by can tune in. I wanted some speakers on my front porch so we could listen to the light show music in the yard, especially when the grandkids were over. I put the receiver in my garage and ran speaker wire to the porch (temporary set up just for Christmas season). I could also listen to the music in the garage where the computer was running the show since there were A & B speaker outputs and I had another set of outdoor speakers in the garage. I liked this so much that I put the speakers used for the front porch under the eaves near our backyard patio and bought a cheap bluetooth adapter. I'll move them to the porch at Christmas time. We have music in our back yard and the bluetooth range is fairly decent - about 40 ft and through the garage wall. Unfortunately my pool deck, when built, will be too far away to use bluetooth with this setup.

You could always pickup a second blutooth adapter and a long set of cables to locate it close to the pool area. The other option would be to add a Sonos Connect which will allow you to control source AND volume from your phone over wifi which will give you fantastic range all over the yard.

You can do that. However, if you do, might I suggest looking into a Chromecast audio instead of Bluetooth. Assuming that you can get wifi to your pavilion either currently or by some extender, the chromecast audio will allow you to use wifi to adjust everything from your phone instead of Bluetooth. Wifi has usually been more reliable for me than Bluetooth ranges because when I get on the other side of the pool the Bluetooth range will cut out sometimes. Also, if you are going to be streaming music, you will save some battery life for your phone or ipad by going chromecast audio as opposed to bluetooth. When using the chromecast audio, the chromecast is actually used to fetch the data as opposed to your device. I learned a little more about chromecast by stalking the site and checking out youtube a good bit. It is a neat product and can actually rival sonos because it does allow multi-room streaming. And the Chromecast audio is comparable in price to any Bluetooth connector that you would use for the receiver.
Just something to check on.

Full disclosure, I do not have Chromecast audio. I am about to jump into the pool/patio music fix this summer, so I have been learning (and am still learning) a bit about all of this. I will likely either be going Sonos or Chromecast audio setup. As far as the differences between Bluetooth vs Chromecast Audio, check out this website: http://allaboutchromecast.com/chromecast-audio-vs-bluetooth/

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.