is clorox performance bleach the same as clorox regular?

I just noticed today that the Chlorox bleach I was buying at COSTCO has changed. 3 pack of 121 oz. bottles has been $9.99 for awhile. Was 8.25%, last ones I bought is 6.05%. Not sure when the change happened.

Just went to Costco today. Same issue for me. Last time I was there I bought the last 5 cases of Clorox 8.3% bleach 3 pack of 121oz for $9.45/case. They told me it was being discontinued. So today I figured they had to have some kind of bleach and I noticed they had Clorox 3 pack 121 oz. now with CloroMax technology. It's 6.05% and was listed at $9.99. I bought 3 cases and they scanned at $9.45 price. Anyway I prefer the 8.3% as it raises my FC by 3ppm whereas this 6.05% raises it by 2.2ppm.

FYI - another member contacted Clorox - the stuff they call Cloromax is NOT recommended for pools as it contains polymers.

Need to find another source for chlorine.

Take care.

FYI - another member contacted Clorox - the stuff they call Cloromax is NOT recommended for pools as it contains polymers.

Take care.

MarkWu1949 said in another thread, after emailing Chlorox:
"Amir (07/31/2017 03:53 PM)Hello Mark,

Thank you for reaching out to us at Clorox, we always appreciate hearing from our consumers. Clorox Regular Concentrated Bleach should be the only type of bleach you put in your swimming pool. Although Clorox Performance Bleach with Cloromax Technology is an excellent product, it is not intended for swimming pools."

But...But...What should I do with the bleach I bought at Costco earlier in July? I probably have five cases of three bottles each, or 15 total bottles left.

PS, MODS, perhaps this thread should be in another place besides SWG.

Take care.

I could only find the following: ""Amir (07/31/2017 03:53 PM)Hello Mark,

Thank you for reaching out to us at Clorox, we always appreciate hearing from our consumers. Clorox Regular Concentrated Bleach should be the only type of bleach you put in your swimming pool. Although Clorox Performance Bleach with Cloromax Technology is an excellent product, it is not intended for swimming pools.""

It doesn't mention the polymers or the negative of them. It does say it isn't for pools but provides no details. Is there anything else out there so we can better understand why it is bad?

No -- but not sure adding polymers to my pool is high on my list.

Remember - TFP is using simple products to add what the pool needs. Pools do not need polymers.

Hi All -

I know this is reviving an older thread on this, but it is the top one that came up when I was searching for some follow-up.

Here in July 2021 - I reached out to Clorox on their 'Clorox performance Bleach" with CloroMax technology' bleach that I had been buying from Sam's Club to SLAM my pool...

Their TL;DR: they claim it to be safe for use in pools. Please read the below and make your own judgement, but thought this was a good communication exchange. While they note Poly(Diallyldimethylammonium Chloride) is a polymer in this version of Clorox - from the quick searching I did on this polymer it seems to be used as a coagulant in water purification - from Wikipedia (I know great source...)
PolyDADMAC is used as a coagulant in water purification. It is effective in coagulating and flocculating inorganic and organic particles such as silt, clay, algae, bacteria and viruses. At high concentrations the organic polymer can remove natural organic matter such as humic and fulvic acids resulting in fewer disinfection byproduct precursors and less color.[3]

And I did not read the full study on this - it is over my head most likely - but looks like there was a study around this Polymer and use in pools:

ABSTRACT Cryptosporidium outbreaks in recreational water venues have threatened public health, especially in swimming pools. There is still no reliable treatment technique to remove Cryptosporidium oocysts from swimming pools. The performance of polydiallyldimethylammonium chloride (polyDEDMAC)as coagulant on Cryptosporidium removal from pools was evaluated in this paper. Seeding methods of polyDEDMAC and dosage of polyDEDMAC versus oocysts concentrations were tested. Results indicated oocysts removal efficiency for feeding oocysts and polyDEDMAC simultaneously were more than 99% (2 log), and continuously feeding of polyDEDMAC achieved at least 99% (2 log) removals, compared with removal efficiency was 20% by control experiment without coagulation. All of these experiments indicated that the polyDEDMAC should be fed by pump automatically and continuously in order to maximize oocysts removals. In addition, oocysts concentration impacted the system performance. The higher oocysts concentration consumed more polyDEDMAC. Overall, polyDEDMAC is an effective and promising coagulant to improve oocysts removals from swimming pools.

CONCLUSION The oocysts removal efficiency for feeding compared with 94% removal (1.3 log) for “feeding polyDEDMAC first”, 65% (0.5 log) for ‘adding Continuously feeding of polyDEDMAC achieved over 99% (2 log) removals, compared with 74% (0. feeding. All of these experiments indicated that the polyDE order to maximize oocysts removals. concentration needed the higher polyDEDMAC dosage. However, extended feeding of polyDEDMAC led to polyDEDMAC accumulated in the system and reduced removal efficiency under the experimental condition. While a real-world pool would be expect to have a continuous supply of this fact.

Here was the full exchange.

1)
Nathan Rich (07/07/2021 11:13 PM)
Hi,

I have been purchasing some of this Chlorox from Sam's Club: Clorox Performance Bleach (121 oz. bottles, 3 pk.) - Sam's Club

It is "Chlorox performance Bleach" with CloroMax technology.

I have a 12,000 gallon pool, that I normally chlorinate with a Salt Water Generator. I have had a small algae issue - so I have been SLAMing (a form of shocking) my pool for the last week. I have added in the range of 15-20 gallons of this bleach to the pool in the process. Looking at the label, I didn't see any 'non-pool safe' ingridients on it, but I have been reading on my pool forum mixed reviews about using Chlorox bleaches labeled as 'performance' or with any additives like Polymers that can be harmful to a pool.

Can you help me understand, is this bleach safe for use in a pool as I have described, for a temporary shock? Or is this bleach not considered pool safe?

Thanks
Nathan

2)
Janel (07/08/2021 02:19 PM)
Hello Nathan,

Thank you for reaching out to us with your concern about using the Clorox Performance bleach to disinfect your pool.

Clorox® Performance Bleach₁ with CloroMax™ Technology is safe when used as directed. This product is registered with the Environmental Protection Agency for numerous health-sensitive uses, such as emergency water disinfection, food contact surface sanitization, and swimming pool disinfection.

To correctly use the product, please follow our guidelines tested by the EPA agency using our Master label for our product on page 51.

https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_search/ppls/005813-00121-20201007.pdf

I hope this helps clarify your concern.

Again, thank you for reaching out to us. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Sincerely,
Janel
Clorox Consumer Care

3)
Nathan Rich (07/10/2021 02:31 PM)
Hi Janel,

I appreciate the response - thank you. Out of curiosity, are there any polymers in this version of bleach as well? When adding chemicals to the pool, I try to use as 'simple' a product as possible, so I am trying to find a bleach that has no additives beyond sodium hypochlorite.

Thanks

4)
Janel (07/12/2021 10:33 AM)
Hello Nathan,

I checked the product ingredients and there are no polymers in this formula. For more information about the product ingredients please visit our Smart Label page here.
***NOTE SHE GOES ON TO CORRECT THIS STATEMENT IN THE NEXT E-MAIL***
Again, thank you for reaching out to us. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Sincerely,
Janel
Clorox Consumer Care

5)
Janel (07/12/2021 10:35 AM)
Hello Nathan,

Update on the product ingredient. I have carefully read through the ingredients page and there is actually a polymer included in this formula, and here is the information for it SmartLabel - Clorox Performance Bleach Liquid 3x121fo - 00044600324289.

Sincerely,
Janel
Clorox Consumer Care

6)
Nathan Rich (07/13/2021 01:16 PM)
Hi Janel,

I appreciate the follow-up thanks for this - I'll take note of that.

Just to be 100% clear - does that change the stance from Clorox on this product - the Clorox® Performance Bleach₁ with CloroMax™ Technology being safe to use in a swimming pool application?

Thanks,

7)
Janel (07/13/2021 04:41 PM)
Hello Nathan,

Even though the product contain the polymer in its formula, it is still tested by the EPA(Environmental Protection Agency) to be safe to use when treating your pool water.

I hope this helps clarifies the information.

Truly,
Janel
Clorox Consumer Care

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.