Jandy CVA-24 Making a lot of noise and warm to the touch

shulk

Nov 5, 2015
Spring/Texas
Hi all,

First time poster here. I did a search but couldn't find anything related to my problem.

I'm a new pool owner so most of the equipment is at this point unknow to me. I've been trying to educate myself through youtube and this amazing forum. To the point: Last night I heard a loud noise coming from the pool equipment. I didn't pay much attention because I was sleepy and the AC units are in the same area and one of them is extremelly old so I thought it was time to change it. This morning I went to inspect the noise and I found it was coming from the Jandy valve. I immediately turned the pool equipment off. Now I'm waiting for someone to take a look at it but since I'm new to this I don't want to be scammed into buying or replacing stuff that's not needed. Any clues as to what my issue can be? and will my pool equipmen sustains any damage if it's off for a couple of days while the tech takes a look at it?

Welcome to the TFP forum. You can find the answers to most any pool related question here, many very knowledgeable people are here to help you.

Take the handle off of the Actuator, then remove the Actuator from the valve by removing the 4 large phillips head screws that hold the Actuator onto the valve. Put the handle back on the valve and now you can rotate the valve to the proper direction for normal pool filtration. This will get you by until you can repair the Actuator. I suspect the Actuator has a bad micro switch or a stripped gear or both. Either condition is repairable, so do not be too quick to replace the Actuator. PM me if you need more help, I have had a couple of the CVA-24 valves for 15+ years now and have been able to keep them going through simple parts replacement and cam adjustment. I once had to replace the gear set due to rusting because I did not notice that the rubber O-ring that goes between the top and bottom of the Actuator had cracked. The gears made a lot of noise at that point because of rusted off gear teeth.

You were right on target about the actuator! I tought about fixing myself with your suggestions but I'm still learning all this stuff and I didn't want to give my wife a reason to tell me "I told you so" LOL.

But thanks to you I was knowledgable enough to to talk to the tech about it!

Now I have another issue (related?): The spa is above the pool and now the overflow is really low, before fixing the valve there used to be way more water coming down. The tech told me that it's beacuse of the cartridge filter, which is due to clean now, but I just think is great coincidence that this happens right after replacing the actuator. Is there anything else I should be looking at here?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.