Pump won't start after heavy rain and power outage

Sep 10, 2015
Houston
Hi, I'm a pool owner for just two months. Now my pump just won't start. We had a heavy rain with thunder and power outage during last weekend here in Houston. Power is now back on, but the pump won't start. I flipped the breakers below the control panel back and forth to make sure they are on. But the pump still refused to start. I also pushed the test button on the breakers but nothing happened. So maybe the breakers are bad? Or maybe I just need to reset something that I'm not aware of? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

We're going to need a little more info to help. For example:
- What is the make/model of your pump?
- Is it hard-wired to a timer or electrical box, or is it connected by a plug?
- Does your pump have it's own safety circuit switch perhaps?
- Is the pump on its own dedicated circuit?
- Do you have a test meter by which you could check for voltage going to the pump?
- test buttons on GFCI breakers won't reset if there's still moisture somewhere. Have you checked everything on that circuit to ensure nothing else is "tripping" the breaker?

There are just a few things I'm tossing your way to either help give us a better picture of what's happening, or perhaps help you resolve this riddle. Lots of electrical experts here, so please reply and let us know how it's going.

Thanks for your reply.

The pump is Hayward C4025.
It is hard-wired to a timer.
I don't know if the pump has its own safety circuit switch. The pool is 4 years old and the house is 19 years old. So I'm guessing maybe yes? Where could it be if the pump has one?
I don't have a test meter.
This is also my first house, so I'm basically a newbie for everything. If the pump has its own dedicated circuit, it should be in the electrical box/timer, right? So that's where I should check?

We're going to need a little more info to help. For example:
- What is the make/model of your pump?
- Is it hard-wired to a timer or electrical box, or is it connected by a plug?
- Does your pump have it's own safety circuit switch perhaps?
- Is the pump on its own dedicated circuit?
- Do you have a test meter by which you could check for voltage going to the pump?
- test buttons on GFCI breakers won't reset if there's still moisture somewhere. Have you checked everything on that circuit to ensure nothing else is "tripping" the breaker?

There are just a few things I'm tossing your way to either help give us a better picture of what's happening, or perhaps help you resolve this riddle. Lots of electrical experts here, so please reply and let us know how it's going.

You might want to verify, but I "think" the C4025 number you gave me was for your cartridge filter, not the pump. https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/SwimClear-Cxx25-C7000.pdf. But the pump itself (located just before the large filter housing) might have a reset button on it. Maybe. Just follow the power cord to the back of the pump and see if there is any type of switch that you may be able to activate. Since your pump is wired to a timer, then you may want to see if the timer itself is actually "on time". When the power went out, it may have stopped the timer at a certain point. Also, maybe your timer has a manual override lever which will allow you to try and turn in on at any time? Since you don't have a multimeter or tester to check voltage, you can only try and follow the power lines or conduit from the timer back to the circuit panel. With a house almost 20 years old, you may have more than one circuit panel to check, but always be careful when following those lines back to the breakers and never touch anything directly with your fingers. Safety first! If you find a model number for the pump itself, please let us know. Maybe it will help.

Oh yes, you are right. C4025 is the filter model number. I will check the pump model when I get home. Thank you!

You might want to verify, but I "think" the C4025 number you gave me was for your cartridge filter, not the pump. https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/SwimClear-Cxx25-C7000.pdf. But the pump itself (located just before the large filter housing) might have a reset button on it. Maybe. Just follow the power cord to the back of the pump and see if there is any type of switch that you may be able to activate. Since your pump is wired to a timer, then you may want to see if the timer itself is actually "on time". When the power went out, it may have stopped the timer at a certain point. Also, maybe your timer has a manual override lever which will allow you to try and turn in on at any time? Since you don't have a multimeter or tester to check voltage, you can only try and follow the power lines or conduit from the timer back to the circuit panel. With a house almost 20 years old, you may have more than one circuit panel to check, but always be careful when following those lines back to the breakers and never touch anything directly with your fingers. Safety first! If you find a model number for the pump itself, please let us know. Maybe it will help.

I have a separate breaker for the pool sub-panel in my main breaker panel. Check your other breakers.

It took my months to figure out all the gfci protected outlets (and the ones outside!) are protected by one trip/reset switch in an upstairs bathroom in my place, so don't feel bad.

Just got home. The pump model number is Hayward SP3220EE. I didn't find any reset button on the pump. I can usually manually turn the pump on regardless of what time it is. So I don't think it's timer. I just found one of the breakers below the pool control panel is tripped. I tried to push it to off position then push it to on position, but it wouldn't stay on, it always came back a little bit. So this may be the reason? I attached a photo of the breakers, so you can better understand what I'm talking about.

213213.jpg

Hummm. Looks like it's that breaker on the lower left huh? Well, typically when a breaker won't reset it's because something in the circuit is still forcing it tripped or the breaker itself is bad. Have you checked to see if there are any other electric items (i.e. lights) tied-in to that circuit that may be keeping the breaker tripped? Maybe process of elimination. In addition, this is directly from your owners manual:
Motor Will NOT Start – Check For:
Make sure the terminal board connections agree with the wiring diagram on motor data plate label. Be sure motor is wired
for available field supply voltage (see pump operating label).
1. Improper or loose wiring connections; open switches or relays; tripped circuit breakers, or blown fuses.
Solution: Check all connections, circuit breakers, and fuses. Reset tripped breakers or replace blown fuses.
2. Manually check rotation of motor shaft for free movement and lack of obstruction.
Solution: Refer to Steps 4 & 5 of “Shaft Seal Change Instructions” in this manual.
3. If you have a timer, be certain it is working properly. Bypass it if necessary.
NOTE: Your Hayward pump motor is equipped with an “automatic thermal overload protector.” The motor will
automatically shut off if power supply drops before heat damage can build up causing windings to burn out. The “thermal
overload protector” will allow the motor to automatically restart once the motor has cooled. It will continue to cut On/Off
until the problem is corrected. Be sure to correct cause of overheating.

Let us know if any of this helps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.