what is causing this green stain in grout ?

donconway

Mar 9, 2015
ojochal osa costa rica
IMG_0204.jpg

hi can anyone give me some guidance about what is causing this greenish - blueish staining on the grout ,,,, this is a saltwater pool about a year old ,,,, the grout is most likely white cement ,,,, i believe all the basic chemistry is good ,,,, this is a customers pool of mine i have a small pool company in costa rica but i have never seen this happen before and looking for answers ,,,, it started about 2 months ago and is getting worse and it is appearing all over pool ,,, brusing with a steel brush didn't help and applying granular chlorine turned it black ,,,, any guidance would be much appreciated

Welcome to the forum.

Looks like possible copper staining. Have you or the customer used any copper based algaecide?

Do you have a way to check the water for metals content?

Dom

Welcome to the forum.

Looks like possible copper staining. Have you or the customer used any copper based algaecide?

Do you have a way to check the water for metals content?

Dom

no ,,,, but since this house is in the mountains and gets its water from a natural source ,,,, it may have some minerals ,,,, so i will get a test kit for copper ,,,,, thank you for that suggestion

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.