Cheap alternative to pool cover water ballast bags.

Jan 5, 2014
Reynoldsburg, Ohio
I am sure someone has already done this, but it is a first for me. I hate having to buy pool water bags every year because they break and tear so easily. This year I am trying something new. In my house we go though gallons of milk and water constantly. I just started saving the containers, filled them with water, and tied them together. I would tie four together and place every so many feet apart. This is the first year for me so not sure how they will fare through the winter. It also doesn't give a completely tight seal, but I am more concerned with protecting the liner than keeping dirt out. Just thought I would share.uploadfromtaptalk1445466428703.jpg

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

x2 on leaving some room at the top. Every year we reuse the old bleach bottles from the season filled with water to hold down our cover. Almost always a few splits open due to freezing, but for the most part they work perfect. Then once Spring comes we empty all the water out and take them to the recycling bins.

I have plenty downstairs (great idea) for added protection.

Question: Does anyone find that the wind blows these into the pool? If they were left by themselves. Or would it be best to link them all together with a string around the pool? Or 4 of them together, like schurtj has done?

I gave up on water bags, moved on to Aqua Blocks (first year using them) and maybe this will be the new way of doing things! :) Thanks!

This is my first year doing this. I agree, i should reduce water in them to allow for expansion. Drilling a hole in cap is a great idea as well. I will report back how they work out this year. I tied them together so hopefully the wind can't move them. We will see!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Sam's Club sells their used icing buckets (with lids) for $1 each. I fill those 2/3 of the way full with water (pool water I would drain out anyway) and put the lid on halfway (which is enough to keep it from blowing off). They are heavy buckets and did a great job for me last year (which was my first year with a pool). I've heard those water bags are awful because the sun rots them quickly. I may eventually go to a safety cover and have way too many buckets, but for the time being it is a great alternative! They stack wonderfully and several lids will fit inside the one empty buckets!!!

Sent using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.