New Owner Builder Pool - Buckeye AZ

LOVE the maps with the water flow! NICE to see it has already been thought out. The video will be VERY helpful for you also!

So what I see happening is your coping being just the slightest bit higher and angled towards the walls all the way around so any water that does rain into the yard will go away from the pool.

I am loving your attention to detail and sharing with us your ides!

Kim

Looks like its going to be a really nice set up. I am also doing an owner build right now. My only comment is the decking: I see pavers listed. Concrete pavers? Concrete pavers get extremely hot in the AZ sun. The AZ Grand Resort has concrete pavers all around their waterpark and it is painful to walk and kids cannot walk at all.

I think I explained the pavers in an earlier post, but pavers is just what was listed in the original plan. I am leaning towards a stamped coping, and acrylic lace on main pool deck/layout area, then go with stamped on the path back path, firepit, and ramada steps and floor.

I was thinking about this earlier, perhaps someone here knows, do they use rebar for decking concrete base, or the wire mesh?? I do not want cracking on such a large deck pad area, and rebar would likely be wise, no??

- - - Updated - - -

OK, so looking for opinions thoughts, etc. The truth..
I am going with a sand filter, based on some input I received that was more or less, a cartrige filter will go through filters faster due to the volume pumping through it, and cost wise long term sand will be better, less maint.. I am looking for opinions, and an not totally sold on the sand as of yet, but I do know it is the least clear option, how unclear will it be?? Keeping in mind, there will be lots of rock around the whole area, and I want a deeper blue pool.. will it matter that much if I stay with sand? Just looking for some opinions from those who have been there done that, and if they knew then what they know now, would they change?

All input is much appreciated.

Jason

I think I explained the pavers in an earlier post, but pavers is just what was listed in the original plan. I am leaning towards a stamped coping, and acrylic lace on main pool deck/layout area, then go with stamped on the path back path, firepit, and ramada steps and floor.

I was thinking about this earlier, perhaps someone here knows, do they use rebar for decking concrete base, or the wire mesh?? I do not want cracking on such a large deck pad area, and rebar would likely be wise, no??

- - - Updated - - -

OK, so looking for opinions thoughts, etc. The truth..
I am going with a sand filter, based on some input I received that was more or less, a cartrige filter will go through filters faster due to the volume pumping through it, and cost wise long term sand will be better, less maint.. I am looking for opinions, and an not totally sold on the sand as of yet, but I do know it is the least clear option, how unclear will it be?? Keeping in mind, there will be lots of rock around the whole area, and I want a deeper blue pool.. will it matter that much if I stay with sand? Just looking for some opinions from those who have been there done that, and if they knew then what they know now, would they change?

All input is much appreciated.

Jason

My bad on the pavers.

If you have a place to backwash I would go with DE it's the best filtration. Sand has the least filtration and you'll see floaties at night.
My previous pool was DE and I loved it. The only reason I'm not going DE on my new build is, I don't have a place to backwash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had DE for 7 years. I considered it for my current build and the dE systems are basically the same as my old set up. It's not hard at all, backwash and add de to the skimmer. They key is having a place to backwash, the DE builds up in your backwash area. But the water is so clear!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a medium blue/gray pool, and I don't notice the dust on the bottom until I sweep it. I have a DE filter, but only an 11000 gallon pool. Not sure if one is better than the other for a larger volume. People with sand filters add a touch of DE to make it perform better anyway. I don't think you'll have a problem.

RE the fence: Assuming you have the list of requirements from Buckeye about the pool fencing: distance between pickets, etc. Just in case you don't have them:
http://www.buckeyeaz.gov/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/2.5.5_Residential-Pool-and-Spa-Checklist.pdf

Thanks for the heads-up on Buckeye requirements, but we are in a county island, so I am pretty sure City of Buckeye requirements do not apply but will double check.
I do have plenty of area for backwashing, so I will be weighing the pros and cons prior to making the final decision of sand vs DE.
Which sums everything up for this project, decisions, decisions, decisions. UGH.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is going to be an exciting build!!! And you're doing such a great job with your descriptions, explanations, and thought processes - so very helpful to everyone!

What a gorgeous area for your pool. It's a tremendous plan with more things going on than you can shake a stick at! This is like a backyard resort on steroids....

I'm curious about the stream. It may be obvious to others on your plans, but I have no talent at reading architectural type plans. Does water from the stream flow into the pool or connect in some way? I love the stream idea! It's funny the talk of a lazy river should come up for me to read today. I've always loved lazy rivers at hotels or the water parks. I was sure that if I had the property, that's exactly what I would want. But yesterday as I was playing in the pool and then floating, I got to thinking, that for some reason a lazy river no longer appealed to me. In a big area of a pool to float, the paths are endless. But on a lazy river, it's either going around in one direction or in the opposite and you're done, finished, trip over. Then the next day, you can do the same old thing again. I can't quite put my finger on how having my own pool now has changed me from wanting a lazy river. I think I've enjoyed the novelty when on vacation, but that was always for just a day. For a good lazy river you need it to be fairly wide unless you only use the old inner tubes. My favorite big float would try to spin around and always get stuck if the lazy river was too narrow. A wide lazy river doesn't seem practical in a residential pool. A lot of water without a lot of varied uses. Oh well, just wanted to say, I think you guys made the right call.

On the spa.... You're going to love the size of your spa. Ours is quite a bit smaller, but plenty for 2 of us. With your hosting parties, the big spa will be perfect. Again, I couldn't tell from the specs, will the spa have different heights of benches for different size people? And for me, I enjoy the different heights for the sake of changing how deep I sit in the water. Higher for when I'm getting too warm and lower when I'm getting chilled by the night air. We have 12 jets which is probably overkill for our size spa, but it sure does rumble. What I wish is that I had pushed for some of the jets to be lower to hit the calves and jets placed at different heights to reach different parts of the back, etc. In my naïve thinking, I guess I thought those things would happen on their own. When they were plumbing the spa, I asked the guys too late (in their minds) to move some of the jets. They brushed me off, and I let them get away with it. It's not a huge deal. We love our spa. But a few minor tweaks would have made a difference.

You are so detailed and seem to know just what you want, so this is probably wasted on you. Just in case, I wanted to mention the spa thing.

Get rolling! I'm ready to see more!!! Thanks for including us on your build! What a blast!

Take care,
Suz.

Going to be a great project. will you be doing your sunken ramada with shotcrete or block? I did mine with block and required that i get a separate permit for retaining walls. Also do not forget to work in a sump pump system into your ramada. They are very strict with retaining walls now.
Pros to doing it with block is that it will be a separate structure and you can make changes in future without damaging pool integrity. This block one is more expensive.
Pros to doing it with shotcrete is that it would be a lot cheaper and does not require special permits since it is worked into the pool. Only bad thing about this is that you would not be able to make any changes to the foundation or walls once it is shot because you run risk of damaging pool since it is one structure.

1st off,
Thanks to all for the kind comments on my build, and support. I really am a fish out of water at the moment on this whole project as I have never built a pool before, but learning each and every day, and this site has been great for that.

My son Jesse 12, Whiskey, and I have been out cleaning up the pool area today in preparation for layout and excavation after my permitting is complete (fingers crossed for smooth permitting), and will post the pics later.

As to the few questions above:
- The stream is actually pool water, pulled from a return on its own VS pump to allow to adjust for speed and flow as desired. Kind of like a natural stream, sometimes a trickle, sometimes rushing. So we can vary based on mood. Also, I will be able to divert some water from the stream to kick up the flow from the spa into the pool if I want more flow than the pool pump is able to do.
- My thoughts on the lazy river are very similar as you mentioned. Once you use it a few times, the excitement may get old. Its not like a resort with a Huge lazy river, experienced on a vacation, and is new. Like you, I like the additional size of the pool, and for movie night, I can imagine about 10 to 12 of us and our close friends floating with drink in hand, watching whatever is the flavor of the week for movie night. Kinda like a drive in. The beam across the middle of the pool is approx 24 - 27', providing ample room to line up the flotilla of pool lounge chairs in a couple rows. Not sure if you saw the movie screen posts, they are about 12' apart, and the projector will shoot from inside the ramada as highlighted below.
- The benches and jets in the spa, I did not dig into too much, but will explore a little more. Thanks for the heads-up.
- The ramada walls that are pool side are engineered and will be shotcrete (highlighted below). The foundation only of the other walls will also be shotcrete, but with block on top of the base. We did submit extra permitting for this, so when we add the upper section of the ramada we do not have to go backwards for the posts support and approvals. There is also provision for sump pump in the ramada. Which the sink in the ramada will be plumbed into.

I think that's about it for now. Let me know if you come up with anything else. I appreciate the input, it will definitely help ensure I am not missing something.
Below is also some eye candy from the 3D renderings, which there has been several changes, but it is close enough to understand. The sizing is a little wonky in the rendering, that baja step is actually 16' wide x 9' 18" deep.

Jason
M%20Screen%20and%20areas%20for%20Shotcrete_zpsuuxlegju.jpg

To%20Screen%20Eye%20Candy_zpsxzulw9ur.jpg

Do you need a dog sitter, care taker, walker? I will take good care of them WHILE we are all hanging out in the pool!

That pool is going to be AWESOME! It is so obvious that you have spent major time and thought on the layout!

Will there be a light in the waterfall? A small one could be neat.

The light between the spa and slide--it looks like it points right at the screen. I am sure you can turn it off when you want to BUT wanted to make sure.

The question/idea I do not ask/point out is THE one I should have so........LOL Better safe than sorry in my world.

I am SO glad to hear that you are having those two help you! It will build character and make them appreciate the pool even more. Good job!

Kim

It will not be pointing at the screen, i will be sure of it. However, we do movie night at a friends pool on occasion, and turn the pool lights off for it. I plan to use just the tiki torches and dim the lights in the ramada during movie nights.

I do plan on some low voltage lighting placed strategically to enhance the whole area and featue, but unsure what you mean by light in the waterfall. I do plan on misters in the waterfall mountain, but a lil unsure of the look you are meaning.

Jason

I am "seeing" a small light shining AT the waterfall water Or one shining through the water as it comes down. With your attention to details I am sure you will find the best light and placement.

Ohhhhh what about tiny lights in the stream bed? The smaller the better and very spaced out as if they are tiny, little specks of light. No idea how you would do it but............worth playing with.

Kim

Small update, no excavation or layout just yet, but I know everyone likes pics,
Spent the weekend on the lower yard pool area prep (it had been neglected for quite sometime); clearing weeds, trash and trimming some trees, and raking.
My daughter Reagan 10, helped me out on the raking, as did my son Jesse on some weeds/cleanup.
Just waiting for permits now. Here are some before and after pics.
Before:
image8_zpsmbco2ym7.jpeg

image4_zpsg9ggcwpx.jpeg

image3_zpszspdgegh.jpeg

IMG_0685_zpsbxkse6dm.jpg

After: and our homemade rake.
image31_zpsxew3osac.jpeg

image11_zps68mrwn23.jpeg

image41_zpss4jwnxf9.jpeg

image61_zpsts9xdodp.jpeg

What a cutie she is driving that ATV! LOVE the rake! You could rent her and it out for horse arenas and pastures! That is what they use to drag horse poop to spread it! LOL

What did you end up doing with the old trampoline? Was it too dead to put back together?

Good for you having the kids help!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.