Connecting Shop Vac to Skimmer - How?

I understand from a few friends and the local pool store that I can close my own pool here using a shop vac.
How does one connect the shop vac to the 1.5" skimmer connection?Thanks!!

First picture, Post # 2 - Is what you are looking for.

Modified Cover for Hayward Super Pump for Closing Swimming Pool

Post # 1 (SP-1023) is the part #. This is for the 1.5". If your shop vacuum is bigger, then you will need an adapter. This place has everything you need. If you e-mail them, they will get back to you very quickly, even on Weekends. Explain to them that you wish to have an extension form your skimmer to a 2" hose, if that is the size. Otherwise, the hose that was purchased is in the first post fits the 1.5".

BTW, just came back from Woodbridge-Vaughn, ON this past week. Nice place. The specialty food stores in Woodbridge are really nice.

First picture, Post # 2 - Is what you are looking for.

Modified Cover for Hayward Super Pump for Closing Swimming Pool

Post # 1 (SP-1023) is the part #. This is for the 1.5". If your shop vacuum is bigger, then you will need an adapter. This place has everything you need. If you e-mail them, they will get back to you very quickly, even on Weekends. Explain to them that you wish to have an extension form your skimmer to a 2" hose, if that is the size. Otherwise, the hose that was purchased is in the first post fits the 1.5".

BTW, just came back from Woodbridge-Vaughn, ON this past week. Nice place. The specialty food stores in Woodbridge are really nice.

Thanks!

I need it for tomorrow as I want to close the pool before our Thanksgiving long weekend.

My shop vac would have a 1 7/8" hose.. How do I reduce that to 1.5"?

Also - the part that you suggested (SP-1023) - I have a couple of those lying around. Tried threading one into the skimmer, but doesn't seem like the threads match. Weird, will try again later today.

Yes - Vaughan is a nice area.

My vacuum has a cone shaped nozzle for use as a blower. I put a couple of wraps of duck tape around the cone and it wedges into a pipe. I find it much easier to blow the skimmer line out from the pump end since the spray ends up on the pool deck instead of all over the equipment.

My vacuum has a cone shaped nozzle for use as a blower. I put a couple of wraps of duck tape around the cone and it wedges into a pipe. I find it much easier to blow the skimmer line out from the pump end since the spray ends up on the pool deck instead of all over the equipment.

I'm planning on blowing through the skimmer. Is that better or not? That's how the last the Pool Stores have closed my pool.

Doing it myself for the first time.

My shop vac would have a 1 7/8" hose.. How do I reduce that to 1.5"?

Chances are that is a 2". Take the hose you have, in addition to the part that is threaded to the skimmer to Lowes or Home Depot and your will find the fittings to reduce 2" to 1.5". If not, you will have to order items on line. Maybe a plumbing store as well.

Also - the part that you suggested (SP-1023) - I have a couple of those lying around. Tried threading one into the skimmer, but doesn't seem like the threads match. Weird, will try again later today.

The fitting maybe for an above ground pool or for a return jet, not sure. Was it loose? Or just did not thread right? Do not jam anything in the skimmer. You kind of have to figure out how to adapt your hose to your skimmer. As you can see in my post, I created a modified cover at the pump housing, not through the skimmer. You may be able to push air at somewhere else, near the equipment pad. Maybe posting a few pictures of plumbing, pump, etc. maybe helpful and we can figure something else out.

Ditto. I drain below skimmer, and blow it out from the pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.