Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trying to slow down the corrosion process with an swg...

1. Back To Top    #1

Trying to slow down the corrosion process with an swg...

I see that Ag pools and swg don't mix well. Is there anything I can do to slow down the process of the salt corroding the metal when the water spills out on the sides and hits the bottom of the pool wall?

I'm attatching a wall foam and bottom foam, in case that matters. Should I wrap the putside with anything? Maybe pitch the ground down away from the pool? I'm guessing that's not wise to do.

Should I spray it with something before I assemble it, or after I assemble it? Maybe grese it with something where it touches the ground?

Anyone do anything like this?

It is a metal and resin pool mix. Just a few resin parts. Not 100%. Walls are defintely steel.
    18' x 54" Round AG 7500 gallon w/small prefab 2-piece fandeck
    Waterways 200sf Cartridge Filter, 1.5 hp 2-speed pump. 2" pvc piping
    Pool Pilot Total Control swg w/acid tank feeder
    Pool Rover Jr., BBB, TF 100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Trying to slow down the corrosion process with an swg...

Depending on how much rain you get and how much water splashes out, rinsing the frame with a garden hose once in a while ought to do it. If you get a lot of rain you probably don't even need to do that.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyman
    I see that Ag pools and swg don't mix well. Is there anything I can do to slow down the process of the salt corroding the metal when the water spills out on the sides and hits the bottom of the pool wall?

I'm attatching a wall foam and bottom foam, in case that matters. Should I wrap the putside with anything? Maybe pitch the ground down away from the pool? I'm guessing that's not wise to do.

Should I spray it with something before I assemble it, or after I assemble it? Maybe grese it with something where it touches the ground?

Anyone do anything like this?

It is a metal and resin pool mix. Just a few resin parts. Not 100%. Walls are defintely steel.

I haven't seen any corrosion issues on my all steel pool. I don't do anything special.
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm going to take a guess here and say it doesn't matter if you have a swg or just do bbb; if water sits next to metal; it will rust. We are in the process of changing out liners and we have one rust spot on the inside wall where our very first patch was; four years ago. We have never had a SWG. I'm guessing it's trickle leaked for a while for the rust to be there. We sanded and rustoleum'd; I hope that's enough.
    24' Vinyl, AG, Sand Filter, 1 1/2 HP Hayward PowerFlo LX, BB&B

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

If Chemgeek, or someone else can shed light on whether or not the corrosion in SWG pools is from the NACl in the water, or, as many have suggested, because the more saline water conducts electricity better.

As regards the latter, good grounding, high quality SS screws on faceplates, and possibly sacrificial anodes might help.
    http://www.swimmingpool.com/

"Leave the gun...take the cannolis"

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by budster
    If Chemgeek, or someone else can shed light on whether or not the corrosion in SWG pools is from the NACl in the water, or, as many have suggested, because the more saline water conducts electricity better.

As regards the latter, good grounding, high quality SS screws on faceplates, and possibly sacrificial anodes might help.
    It's both. The higher conductivity (mostly from the Na+ and Cl- ions) increases the rate of galvanic and electrochemical corrosion. In addition, certain metals that depend on passivity layers such as aluminum and stainless steel (and possibly copper to some extent) corrode faster in the presence of higher levels of chloride (and sulfates) which interfere with the rate of reformation of the passivity layer. Whether this is a problem depends on the specific rates relative to other things that affect the life of these components.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"