Planning to build a backyard pool in Las Vegas.

The house is facing west, therefore the pool will be heated all morning long and a couple of hours in the afternoon, after that it will be covered by the shade of the house until dark.
The builder has all kind of pavers installed by group in front of their office. We could come over and try our barefoot on it, but the summer time is over …:(
Anyway, as you mentioned Foxy, the drainage is important as well. Even though in Las Vegas we only have a little rain however, we don’t want those water, once on the deck, find their way back to the pool.
Yeah, QingGuy is a good guy and he is helping me to do a BYOP . Hesitatingly, I would like very much doing so for the shake of controlling the process our own way. Anyway, with the help of an experts in this site, hopefully we could do it .:confused:

Qingguy is sure to be a great resource for all of you in the Vegas area - especially if you are planning a BYOP.

Love this discussion about the heat from the pavers / concrete - things folks like me who are pool newbies would have never thought about. I am about 2 to 3 months away from closing on my new construction home and then will be building a pool - so all this information on this site is tremendous. Hey - I can even recognize a pump now:cool:

FYI :
Source:
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/hot-pavers-around-pool-decks-103156.html

Brick Pavers and Clay Pavers

On a hot day over 100 degrees Fahrenheit, a light-colored clay paver may reach a surface temperature of over 150 degrees, and a dark-colored paver will get even hotter.
Concrete Pavers

When the outside temperature is 90 degrees, concrete pavers may be as hot as 119 degrees.
Flagstone Pavers

At an air temperature of 90 degrees, a flagstone paver will have a surface temperature of about 112 degrees.
Travertine Pavers

When the outside air temperature is 90 degrees, a light-colored travertine paver will have a surface temperature of around 108 degrees.
Shell Stone Pavers

Manufacturers of shell stone pavers claim that on a 90-degree day, their light-colored pavers may have a surface temperature as low as 94 degrees.

FYI :
Source:
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/hot-pavers-around-pool-decks-103156.html

Brick Pavers and Clay Pavers

On a hot day over 100 degrees Fahrenheit, a light-colored clay paver may reach a surface temperature of over 150 degrees, and a dark-colored paver will get even hotter.
Concrete Pavers

When the outside temperature is 90 degrees, concrete pavers may be as hot as 119 degrees.
Flagstone Pavers

At an air temperature of 90 degrees, a flagstone paver will have a surface temperature of about 112 degrees.
Travertine Pavers

When the outside air temperature is 90 degrees, a light-colored travertine paver will have a surface temperature of around 108 degrees.
Shell Stone Pavers

Manufacturers of shell stone pavers claim that on a 90-degree day, their light-colored pavers may have a surface temperature as low as 94 degrees.

Nice find!

I found my pics, the temperature difference in the dark concrete paver and the light concrete paver when I checked the temps was about 15-20 degrees, there were a couple shades of the dark ones. Dark were in the 145-150 range, light was around 135.
My crappy Kool Deck was 126, a spot of darker sample color was 139, bare concrete was 131.

I checked it on Aug 8th at around 5pm, looks like it was right around 100 degrees that day.

We have triple digit temps this week, summer isn't over just yet!

I just realized that I have a large piece of flagstone that is a heavy slate style, it's very cool to the touch. I have some pieces of the red sand type of flagstone also, it's not as cool. I have some ceramic tile that looks like travertine, I can lay it outside, but I don't have real travertine to check =/. Now I want to do a test and check a bunch of surface temps! I have a Raytech temperature gun to play with.

Nice find!

I found my pics, the temperature difference in the dark concrete paver and the light concrete paver when I checked the temps was about 15-20 degrees, there were a couple shades of the dark ones. Dark were in the 145-150 range, light was around 135.
My crappy Kool Deck was 126, a spot of darker sample color was 139, bare concrete was 131.

I checked it on Aug 8th at around 5pm, looks like it was right around 100 degrees that day.

We have triple digit temps this week, summer isn't over just yet!

I just realized that I have a large piece of flagstone that is a heavy slate style, it's very cool to the touch. I have some pieces of the red sand type of flagstone also, it's not as cool. I have some ceramic tile that looks like travertine, I can lay it outside, but I don't have real travertine to check =/. Now I want to do a test and check a bunch of surface temps! I have a Raytech temperature gun to play with.

Wow! Foxy, you really want to get down to the bottom of it huh?
It is very nice to have some kind of info’s like yours to go by Foxy, Thanks
As we all know, absolute Temp is possible but not easy to measure. It is depending on many factors, however, relatively we could do something like these, as an experiment.
After calibrating our Thermometer, then use the same thermometer to measure air temp Vs surface temp (assuming the surface is dry enough at the time).
Have fun with your new toy! :D Cheers !

I will have to find my laser thermometer as we just completed our build with Travertine pavers. We are in/near Houston TX so the heat was a big concern for us. Our back yard is in direct sun from about 11AM to almost sunset. This past weekend it was about 90 deg outside, but the travertine was still cool on my bare feet (the flagstone coping was pretty warm.)

Wow! Foxy, you really want to get down to the bottom of it huh?
It is very nice to have some kind of info’s like yours to go by Foxy, Thanks
As we all know, absolute Temp is possible but not easy to measure. It is depending on many factors, however, relatively we could do something like these, as an experiment.
After calibrating our Thermometer, then use the same thermometer to measure air temp Vs surface temp (assuming the surface is dry enough at the time).
Have fun with your new toy! :D Cheers !

Yup, not going to be 100% accurate, but we were just looking for a range to have an idea. We are considering a wide range of deck options, so we have been discussing pros and cons of each, for us color is a big factor, texture is another, and of course cost.
Can't wait to watch your build, enjoy!

I will have to find my laser thermometer as we just completed our build with Travertine pavers. We are in/near Houston TX so the heat was a big concern for us. Our back yard is in direct sun from about 11AM to almost sunset. This past weekend it was about 90 deg outside, but the travertine was still cool on my bare feet (the flagstone coping was pretty warm.)

Please do! I am curious about how different surfaces are measuring comparable to the outdoor temp, in full sun and in the late afternoon. =D

Decision is made: BYOP .
1/ contract is signed.
2/ Clearing the backyard (remove partial patio concrete, trees, rocks...).
3/ Design, Engineering and city,HOA permit next.

Nice! I am also doing owner build but I have a friend that is a contractor that is going to manage the subs (for a percentage of course). We signed on Thursday. I decided to go this route because we are also doing a lot of non pool work. New patio cover, extending patio, a shade pergola, all new landscape plants, irrigation and drip. The pool builders wanted to run me through the ringer for all the other work. I'm saving about 9k, even after I pay my contractor/project manager his percentage. We are hoping to break ground 2nd week in October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice! I am also doing owner build but I have a friend that is a contractor that is going to manage the subs (for a percentage of course). We signed on Thursday. I decided to go this route because we are also doing a lot of non pool work. New patio cover, extending patio, a shade pergola, all new landscape plants, irrigation and drip. The pool builders wanted to run me through the ringer for all the other work. I'm saving about 9k, even after I pay my contractor/project manager his percentage. We are hoping to break ground 2nd week in October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Azjoshers79 , It’s very nice to have your friend acting as a general contractor – good luck to you , you are on your way ! cheers :)
Yeah, with the help of QingGuy, I hired one of his best sub-contractor as our general contractor, the only thing I have to do is going to city hall with him to apply for a permit as an Owner Builder.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.