35k gallon pool in the woods of nc

Apr 30, 2015
Charlotte NC
I have a 35k gallon in ground pool. Man this thing is a ton of work. I would like to leave it uncovered this winter, the cover last year was a ton of work with it sliding in, filling with water, frozen water bags etc... Three things I'm worried about this winter. Keeping stuff out, preventing freezing, and water chemistry getting all jacked up. Can someone write up what I'll need for gear this winter? Pool is surrounded by tall trees, Pines, oaks, poplars... I'm thinking leaf net, leaf vac, and some type of heater on the colder part of the winter. I don't have a robot, but it would die fighting off the amount of leaves that are coming...

Some of your concerns will be addressed here at Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool. As for the initial falling of leaves and debris in the fall, some owners just use pool netting, others rely on their cover. Some chose to leave the covers on all winter, only in the beginning, others remove them totally. Lots of personal preferences out there based on their location and amount of debris in the area. Hopefully you have the right test kit (TF-100 or Taylor K-2006) so that when you adjust your chemical levels for closing, you know they will be right.

Close without a cover? Absolutely. That's just personal preference. Follow those instructions and you'll be fine. But for testing, if you already have the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006, there's no need to let the pool store test your water. They will only confuse you by debating your own testing. We see it here all the time. Good luck!

My daughters pool in Raleigh remains uncovered. (her pool was my pool for 10 years) She simply maintains it as normal keep FC levels up until the water gets cold enough there is no reason to chlorinate

Forget anything but a leaf net to get the leaves out. I never had anything that would work except good ole' manual labor.....comes with the territory.

A hard freeze is not a concern in your climate....you can get down to 15 or 20 for one night and experience no ice on the pool. Prolonged period of cold will put ice on the surface but drain the filter and pump and no equipment will be damaged.

Your pool will be dirty in the Spring and you'll have another sessions of leaves when the White Oaks fall but just keep on top of it and you will have a sparkling pool ready for swimming when the time comes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.