Slide no longer the eyesore of the backyard (pix)

Husky25

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 1, 2015
"East of the River" CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I used to have a Baquacil pool, but since changing out the liner 3 seasons ago, it looked like I had white mold growing the water. Finally, and with the help of TFP, I converted to Chlorine at the beginning of June. In terms of pool enjoyment, it was probably the best decision I could have made. We used to swim in disgusting cloudy water. Now it is clear and inviting, but that story has been told.

This story is about my slide and because this site has been a Godsend this year, I wanted to share in case someone else is in a similar predicament. I had planned on reconditioning my slide anyway, but kept putting it off and putting it off. This is what it looked like:
20150730_175035_zps5hbczqsz.jpg

20150730_175018_zpscjdezupd.jpg

We took a mini-vacation to my brother in law's in Pittsburgh, who also has a slide and (long story shorter) my 3YO son had such a great time, we had no choice but to take care of our slide, one way or another.

First thing I did was check this board for step by step instructions. I thought for sure I could have done it, but the task did seem a little daunting and time intensive. Second step was to see if I could get a new one. I could, but they are pretty cost-prohibitive, especially considering the timing and expense of my conversion. Finally, I Googled "marine body shop" in the area (Got the idea from one of the posts I found here. The only difference is the other person used an auto body shop). It is real easy to take off its moorings and for about 40% of a new slide, plus plumbing and nozzles ($25 on Amazon), and a couple weeks time, this is the result (kid not included):
20150828_192152_zpsaxlephxe.jpg

20150828_192238_zpsgishfsx3.jpg

In my view, it was well worth the cost, even if I didn't do it on my own.

They took it down to the original glass, patched where needed, and then put on multiple layers of gel coat and paint. Apparently, the original owners had applied only latex paint to try to preserve it, but the slide had never been sanded down...ever. He said the finish is what he would do for a speed boat.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.