Anyone use an inflatable spa in winter? (freezing temps)

What do you guys think about putting foam boards under the inflatable hot tub, and spraying the outside walls with spray foam insulation like this kit? It would make it pretty ugly, but I figure that could be painted and would look decent. It should insulate significantly better than stock given that the foam provides an r7 value at 1" thick.

I've got the Intex with the bubbles and the massage jets (the ~$900 one) and it has maintained 104 degrees at all times so far, though we've only gotten into the 30's at night. Once you open it up it drops to 101 or so pretty quickly, but then it hangs around there. I haven't stayed in it long enough for it to drop any lower than that.

I can confirm that this model will run the heater and either the jets or the bubbles simultaneously, but will not run all three at once. It also has a SWG, but won't run that at the same time as the heater either.

I'm contemplating getting a small propane radiant heater to set up nearby, just to provide some warmth while drying off after getting out.

Most of the inflatable spa manufacturers say the spas should be closed up when the temperature gets below 40'F/4'C. I guess the main concerns I've read about in using an inflatable spa in sub-freezing temperatures is that the motor will freeze up and cease to work.

One solution is to put the motor inside (if you can!) while leaving the spa outside. That way the motor isn't subject to the freezing temperatures, and if you have a decent insulating cover, you should be able to keep your spa at 104' or close to that, even in cold temperatures. The motors are ok to leave out in the cold, but apparently they shouldn't be run in very cold temperatures. See this article here for more info.

I just bought a Intex tub for 300$ on amaazon and I want to use it all winter but after the first 2 weeks im starting to think I might get quiet the shock when the electric bill shows up. I have the hot tub in my garage that is not insulated but usally stays right about freezing or a little over. What kind of estimated cost do you guys think it will take to keep this up to temp a month in frezzing temperatures?

My electric usage for this Nov compared to last year before we got the spa went from about 1100 kwh to 1344 kwh, but we've had a much warmer year and actually ran the A/C until about a week ago. So it's hard to say how much of that is due to the spa.

I really don't think they draw all that much power, as they heat so slowly. My guess is maybe comparable to a couple of 100 watt light bulbs left on full time. I should get one of those gadgets that you plug into the socket that measures power consumption.

Have you looked at the Intex manual? It may give the power draw in the tech specs.

BTW, mine is doing to get tested this weekend for sure, as we're supposed to drop to near zero Saturday night.

My electric usage for this Nov compared to last year before we got the spa went from about 1100 kwh to 1344 kwh, but we've had a much warmer year and actually ran the A/C until about a week ago. So it's hard to say how much of that is due to the spa.

I really don't think they draw all that much power, as they heat so slowly. My guess is maybe comparable to a couple of 100 watt light bulbs left on full time. I should get one of those gadgets that you plug into the socket that measures power consumption.

Have you looked at the Intex manual? It may give the power draw in the tech specs.

BTW, mine is doing to get tested this weekend for sure, as we're supposed to drop to near zero Saturday night.

How did it do with those temps near 0?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you for your welcome. I also just bought an Intex spa for my disabled Veteran. We will be putting it in the heated garage, but our temps here are moderate compared to the rest of NY. Anything we need to know about the unit itself?
Thanks in advance.

Hi, I am new to the forum and see it has been sometime since anyone has posted. Does anyone have any updated information regarding electricity usage? I am in northern, middle TN and would try to use this year round. The environment would be a covered deck with full walls on two sides and I would probably build the enclosure shown by Esiebert7625. Thanks!

I have been using an inflatable hot tub since early February. It is installed in the garage which is a completely enclosed and protected but unheated space when the doors are down. I expect our climate is not too different from yours. I have been collecting info on electric usage but only have two months experience so far. I averaged the previous 5 years electric bills to get a base line for each month. February average $121 this year $167, March average $110 this year $163. Our emc rate is 9.4c first 700 kwh, 7.8c next 800 kwh, 7.4c over 1500 kwh. My usage Feb 1592 kwh and Mar 1543 kwh. I'm not sure when there were rate increases, but I expect there have been some over the past 5 - 6 years. I have the temp set so the water fluctuates between 96 deg and 101 deg F. We usually soak at 100 or 101.

Edit: (6/30/17) I now have four months of electricity usage. April average $112 this year $154, May average 125 this year $182. Over this four month period the average usage was approximately $50.00 per month. This is a bit higher than I expected when we first purchased the tub, but my wife and I agree that the benefit is worth the cost.

Here's an update on the inflatable spa that I purchased when I started this thread; The Great Canadian Spa Company - Rio Grande. Keep in mind we seldom use the spa, so it has not been over-used. We actually never went in during the past winter, but it has always been kept at temp - never close to freezing.

It's absolute junk. The heater unit (PCU) died in the first year, but was replaced under warranty. Now I am past the warranty period and the heater died again - and the PSU costs more than I paid for the whole tub ($900).

Furthermore, the bladder/liner has been leaking since the autumn. I opened up the spa to verify there were no bad connections and there were none. The plastic tubing lines internally are connected via cheap compression fittings, but I confirmed no leaks. So it is likely leaking from the seams as near as I can tell.

I can't bring myself to toss it yet, but it will almost certainly all end up in the landfill. A regrettable waste of my money!

I can't bring myself to toss it yet, but it will almost certainly all end up in the landfill. A regrettable waste of my money!

My experience has been much the same with the $900 Intex Purespa with the massage jets. I'm on my second pump and third liner, and it has begun leaking air now too.

Cybergy, I too hate junk. But don't want to spend the price of a small car on a spa ;)

So several years ago I bought a very old jacuzzi sport (echo) for about $400 on Craig's list.
I've since spent money on a pressure switch, replacement of a 15 year old 2 h pump, a new light, leak repair and a new cover.

All told, I'm still WAY under what a new one would have cost me back then, and have had about 9 years of operation.

Find a good, preferably working tub, and honest repair guy or DIY parts supplier, and look around for the small sport type second hand. They last forever ;)

Well that may be an option for me to look into.

Originally we were looking for a tub that could be moved off the patio for the summer (I don't care for a hot tub when it's hot outside). Perhaps I will have to expand my scope.

Thanks for the advice Swampwoman. I'll start searching :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.