Solar cover sizing question

uwimage

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 10, 2007
Richardson, TX
OK, we've decided to finally get a solar cover (thanks wife's bonus!)

But our pool is old, pretty generic rectangle which makes the sizing easier but my question is it's 17'x32' should we get a 16x34 cover or a 18x34 cover and cut it down(worth the hassle for the extra 6" of cover on each side?)? (I'm going with a little longer to keep some on the reel).

Thanks!

I have an odd-shaped pool and my cover doesn't quite cover it all.
What I've found is that the open-water section tends to collects "stuff" dropping in (leaves, pollen, insects) which either sits there or eventually falls to the bottom. Unfortunately it's also by the steps, where the Polaris isn't very effective; I can see that part of the bottom just collecting more junk.

If the open section was in front of the skimmer I think it would be okay. I think that should be your only consideration for whether to completely cover the pool. The difference in reducing heat loss and evaporation won't be much.

--paulr

uwimage said:
OK, we've decided to finally get a solar cover (thanks wife's bonus!)

But our pool is old, pretty generic rectangle which makes the sizing easier but my question is it's 17'x32' should we get a 16x34 cover or a 18x34 cover and cut it down(worth the hassle for the extra 6" of cover on each side?)? (I'm going with a little longer to keep some on the reel).

Thanks!

You'll be sorry if you leave some on the reel. The first good wind will pick up the cover and maybe the reel. You want the cover lying completely flat on the water.

JohnT said:
You'll be sorry if you leave some on the reel. The first good wind will pick up the cover and maybe the reel. You want the cover lying completely flat on the water.

I hadn't thought of that, and we do have some gusty days in N. Texas! Looks like I'll be getting one to fit!

And Paul, good thoughts, we don't have that much flying around after the pollen from the oak trees (which is awful!) but I think we'll get bigger than we need and just take the time to cut it back vs. too small... We're getting a loop-lock cover this fall to take care of the leaves...I love our big trees but they are a PiTA!

thanks for the tips guys!

Mine was larger- I ordered right size, but maybe they were just generous. I cut it down the same day I put it in the pool after letting is settle a little to straighten out. Cut it just right, measured and marked the cut line with a ruler and a sharpy even. This was mid-September- 90plus degree days but cooler nights. 2 days later, the thing had actually shrunk about an inch all the way around. It's not bad, and I ended up cutting it into 3 pieces anyways because it was too big to handle alone in one piece, but did not see the shrinking thing coming. Something to consider before you get out the scissors. Next time (hopefully years from now) I will let it sit for a couple days in the water and do all of its settling/shrinking/whatever before I start cutting on it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.