New Automatic Chlorinator for Rental Pool

I'm thinking of installing a valve before the injector. Please look at these and share your comments.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/First-rate-...ed-NPT-HFUS-/171917530411?hash=item280715552b chrome plated brass
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-or-3-8-...-Valve-/331141265638?var=&hash=item4d198eb8e6 nylon/plastic
http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-R172060-Replacement-Automatic-Chlorine/dp/B004VTGKH8 designied for chlorine, but only one side is NPT... the other is compression fitting

Let me know if you have any other suggestions.

I'm thinking of installing a valve before the injector. Please look at these and share your comments.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/First-rate-...ed-NPT-HFUS-/171917530411?hash=item280715552b chrome plated brass
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-or-3-8-...-Valve-/331141265638?var=&hash=item4d198eb8e6 nylon/plastic
http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-R172060-Replacement-Automatic-Chlorine/dp/B004VTGKH8 designied for chlorine, but only one side is NPT... the other is compression fitting

Let me know if you have any other suggestions.

What would be the purpose for the valve? Seems like just another thing for your renters to screw around with, also just another point of failure. If you want to stop the chlorine flow, there is a power switch right on top of the Stenner pump. I would prefer to have the least amount of connections possible between the pump and injector. Just my opinion. Good luck with your Stenner install. Makes life easier.

Manufacturer's instructions suggest a T-coupling with ball valves on either side, so the injector can be removed for cleaning. I figure one valve before the injector would make this much easier (plus I don't have room there for additional fittings). I'm putting this out here, as I don't know how chlorine affects chrome plated brass or nylon/plastic.

Sorry hit wrong link at Lowes you are correct NPT. I tried it first on a spare PVC pipe to make sure of my procedure.

- - - Updated - - -

Manufacturer's instructions suggest a T-coupling with ball valves on either side, so the injector can be removed for cleaning. I figure one valve before the injector would make this much easier (plus I don't have room there for additional fittings). I'm putting this out here, as I don't know how chlorine affects chrome plated brass or nylon/plastic.

I you get fixed pump no need to ever clean injector. If you get varible then might have to clean duckbill flap thingy ( LOL ). I had to take my injector off to check flow rate once. All I did was put a piece of tape over hole to prevent air from entering.

You and Bama Rambler recommend the fixed rate pumps, while Tim5055 recommends the variable rate pumps. How does one choose when there doesn't seem to be a consensus among the experts?

If all that is needed is a piece of tape to prevent air from entering, I won't bother getting a valve. I have 1/4" plugs I can put in the hole if need be.

How do you suggest I lower the level of the water while I drill and tap the hole for the injector?

I'm thinking of running the filter, Stenner 45MHP2 or 45MPHP2 and The Pool Cleaner for 3 hours starting at sundown and then 3 hours preceding sunrise. After I see what FC that gives me, I'll make whatever adjustments are necessary. Does that make sense for a 20-22K gallon pool?

Thanks for all the assistance.

How do you suggest I lower the level of the water while I drill and tap the hole for the injector? ( no need , just make sure pump is off )

I used fixed rate because I have the Pentair Easytouch 8 automation system. I was able to use one of the relays to hook my Stenner up to it. Then I just went into the Easytouch programing and told it how long to run.

How much bleach are you using now? That should give you a pretty good estimate of run time. I think the 45mp pumps 0.89 oz / minute. I divide my run time into 4 runs per day to keep a level FC.

I'm reluctant to run two controllers, fearful the filter controller might go out and leave the Stenner running. Without two controllers, would you recommend the variable or the fixed rate?

What are the advantages of running it during the day? Wouldn't the sun deteriorate the chlorine? I can't base my future usage on my present usage, as my CYA and CH are through the roof, now, and I will have the pool re-plastered in October.

If it helps, I just switched out my Liquidator for a Stenner pump. All in all, I really like the Stenner over the Liquidator. I have it dialed-in and it is working great. On my install, I had 1-1/2" pipe that I added a t-fitting to then a ball valve and then used a reducer bushing down to 1/4" FNPT for the injector. I picked up the necessary parts from a local plumbing store.

Also, I went with the variable speed Stenner [for the flexibility] but the clicking sound is really annoying and too loud for our liking. So, I just leave it set on full dispensing capacity and control the dosage via a timer.

Here is a picture of my install...

IMG_1318.jpg

The more I hear, the more I'm leaning toward a fixed rate pump. All I need is to hear my tenants constantly complaining about the noise from the pump. I guess I could always connect two timers together, if need be, with the power for the Stenner coming from the filter timer, while direct line power will run the Stenner timer. That way, though the Stenner is on a timer, it can only run when the filter is running (the Stenner timer will switch the filter power and feed it to the Stenner). If the filter timer ever fails, the Stenner won't run.

I think it is going to be easiest for me to just drill and tap my coupling and then attach the injector directly to the coupling.

I'm still confused whether it is better to inject the chlorine only at night or throughout the day. I've read here that it is best to add bleach at night rather than during the day. Also, is it better to inject Chlorine quickly (with a 45MPHP10) or slowly (with a 45MPHP2)?

Thanks for your feedback.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@RentalPool,

I was wondering the same thing with respect as to when to dose [night or day]. I don't think it really matters as long as you are adding the correct dosage. I opted for a more consistent FC level throughout the day. For me, my pool requires 25oz per day. I start my dosing at 8AM and end it at 6PM. My beginning [8AM] and ending times [5PM and 6PM] are the longest runs at 7 minutes each and the rest of the runs are 1 minute. I have the pump set at its full capacity of 0.89 ounces per minute. Just my .02! :)

I guess I could always connect two timers together, if need be, with the power for the Stenner coming from the filter timer, while direct line power will run the Stenner timer. That way, though the Stenner is on a timer, it can only run when the filter is running (the Stenner timer will switch the filter power and feed it to the Stenner). If the filter timer ever fails, the Stenner won't run.
See my post here (post 11) about setting up a slave timer.
Advice on setting up a Stenner.

Cajun, actually, 440Dodge440 mentioned how to slave timers in the second post of your thread. That is what I was describing in my post #30 above. It seems like that went over everyone's head in the following posts. Power is switched by the filter timer. The switched output of the filter timer is spliced into the input of the Stenner timer. Let the constant line input feed only the Stenner timer motor, not the input to be switched for the Stenner.

Let's see if I can take this one step at a time.
1) Main power in goes to input side of the filter timer (timer motor is attached to these feeds -- L1 & neutral).
2) Attach a wire from the neutral (white wire) screw to the neutral screw of the Stenner timer (leave the neutral side of the timer motor attached to the neutral screw on the Stenner timer) .
3) Attach a wire from the ground (green wire) of the filter timer to the ground screw on the Stenner timer.
3) Disconnect Stenner timer motor wire from L1 screw and run a wire to connect it to L1 on the filter timer.
4) Attach a wire to the filter load screw and run it to L1 input screw of the Stenner timer (now, both the filter motor and the Stenner L1 screw are attached to the filter's load screw).
5) Connect the Stenner to the load and neutral screws of the Stenner timer.

Now, the Stenner can't run unless the filter is running.

Let me know if this needs further clarification.

I'm looking at timers for the Stenner and have come across several options. Please give your feedback or offer other alternatives.

INTERMATIC C8845 four hour cycle, but allows a 2 minute minimum on/off cycle
INTERMATIC 1905P 24-hour cycle and allows a 15 minute minimum on/off cycle
INTERMATIC 1905HD 24-hour cycle and allows a 15 minute minimum on/off cycle

I'd have to buy those previous ones, but I do have a T100 I could use, if I replace the burned out motor, but that only allows a 60 minute minimum on/off cycle. For a 10GPD pump, I figure I'd need to run the Stenner for a little over an hour a day. If I use a 3 GPD pump, I'd need to run the Stenner for about 4 hours.

Thank you

Is there anyone who is experienced in using timers for peristaltic pumps? I'd like to get this system started, but want to know all the details before I start ordering. I'll be getting the Stenner 45MPHP2 but want to know what you recommend for the timer. Is it better to have a timer that can have run times of 15 minutes or more, or are the older timers that have run times of 60 minutes or more flexible enough? I expect to run the Stenner 3 times a day and more than an hour each time. It seems to make sense to use my older 60 minute run time timer, but before I purchase a replacement timer motor for it, please let me know if there are any advantages to using the 15 minute run time timers. I hope to get some responses soon, as this is my last step before ordering everything. Thank you.

Also, would there be any advantage of waiting till after I re-plaster this pool next month before installing the Stenner?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.