Total Drain for Repair

Jun 4, 2014
Fawn Grove, PA
Hello all,

The beginning of this season we noticed a crevice that had formed over winter under the liner on one side of the pool. It's about 3-4" deep, 2-3" wide and runs about 25 feet along the length of the pool. My pool builder came out early this season to look and said its either from settling or from a mole. Regardless, the fix for this is to drain the whole pool, take the liner up, and smooth the sand underneath. They said it would be fine this summer and they would do it before closing in the fall. I've been trying not to think about it all summer because it sounds like a nightmare. I'm not even sure how this is going to happen.

My main concern that I'm not sure how to address is draining the pool. My yard is on a rather hefty slope. My house actually sits below the level of the road in front of my house and continues downward toward the back of my yard, which ends in a stream. We have a septic system. There are no drainage ditches or sewers nearby for me to drain into. Where exactly am I supposed to put over 15,000 gallons of water? Does anyone have any ideas? Can you hire a pool water truck to drain your pool as opposed to fill it?!

My other concern is the liner - does removing and reinstalling it pose a risk to the integrity of the liner?

Thanks for any advice. I'm still hoping the problem will just magically go away on its own if I continue to ignore it a little longer.

You can also hire a water truck. They will pump the water out, hold it, and then pump it back in. It's not cheap, but it may be the way to go for you. Especially if your PB can get the ground fixed in one day.

Re-using the liner is iffy at best. If the repair is close to the edge, you may be able to get away with it by just taking that part of the liner off the wall, and disturbing as little as possible, but even that is questionable. Liners get brittle, and when they are re-stretched, they tear.

-dave

Thanks for your responses. Sorry this is so late.

Can anyone provide me some instructions or advice as to the process I should follow?

From what I understand from my pool builder, they will drain MOST but not ALL of the water from the pool. They said they won't drain completely because that will be bad for the liner. They will remove just the portion of the liner away from the wall, as the crevice is very near to the wall, and go under the liner to fix.

So... what process should I follow regarding closing the pool?

I don't want to fill the pool all the way back up (would have to buy two trucks of water), just to add chemicals and then re-drain. I will already have to pay for one truck of water to get it to an acceptable level to close... but then it won't be high enough to add chemicals and circulate.

We've decided as far as draining goes, to slowly drain into different areas of the backyard over the course of several days so nothing floods and it doesn't make it to the stream.

My thought process is...

1. Take pool to shock level for several days and let circulate... remove ladder, brush, and vacuum as if we were going to close.
2. Drain water level over course of 4 days until repair day.
3. Have repair.
4. Estimate amount of bleach needed to get to acceptable level to close... and hopefully the addition of water from the water truck will stir it up enough.

Being that I haven't closed the pool myself before, this repair is making it seem more complicated than it needs to be. Any advice appreciated!

Oh and I asked the builder if it could wait til spring (logistically it makes more sense as most of the water will already be drained, and I will have to get a water delivery anyway) but they said it could get worse over winter and any ice that gets under there could damage the liner.

Just curious, why are you working hard to keep the pool water out of the stream? Chlorine levels could be allowed to drop before dumping water... Any other chemicals in your pool water that you're worried about?

In first reading your initial posts, I thought a stream downhill of the pool sounded very convenient for your purposes.

Just curious, why are you working hard to keep the pool water out of the stream? Chlorine levels could be allowed to drop before dumping water... Any other chemicals in your pool water that you're worried about?

In first reading your initial posts, I thought a stream downhill of the pool sounded very convenient for your purposes.

Couple reasons... mostly I figured that it wasn't legal or ethical for the environment. If I were to let chlorine levels drift to 0, then slowly drain for a couple days... aren't I then running the risk of an algae bloom in the water that's left? I can't SLAM a pool that is only half full that I'm trying to winterize.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.