Bleach?

Aug 1, 2015
Wheatfield, NY
I read in some threads that pool store shock is not recommend by the people on this forum. The shock at my pool store is 12.5% Sodium Hypochlorite. Another pool store sells 10.0% Sod. Hyp. The chemical company down the street sells "fresh pool chlorine" and its 12.5% Sod. Hyp. The grocery store sells bleach that is 8.5% Sod. Hyp. Other than price and concentration, what's the difference?

The chemical company has the best price. I didn't calculate the grocery store price on a =% basis, but they don't have enough on the shelf to make it worthwhile.

There is no difference aside of price and concentration, buy whichever is best for your situation based on price and convenience.

I don't know of anybody that doesn't like the higher concentrations, the issue is that typically "shock" refers to powdered chlorine, which contains calcium or CYA (or rarely lithium) to bind the chlorine to a powdered form. This adds unwanted extras, which is why we prefer liquid chlorine. So yes, feel free to buy sodium hypochlorite from any source you prefer.

Price divided by number of ounces divided by percentage as a decimal (12.5% = 0.125) gives you the cost per ounce of hypochlorite. The lower number is the best deal. Given two equal costs/hypochlorite go with the more concentrated for convenience, provided you're going to use it soon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.