SWG Cannot keep up

15 FC this morning. definitely need to slam...
Going to Foodtown to go pickup a few cases of bleach.

I took care of my parents pool all growing up, fresh water, and never had an issue like this. Could it be that a plaster pool just allows the algae to Harbor because of its pouressness nature? BTW I have brushed my walls and floors like a bandit the last time I slammed and I just do it from time to time anyway...

Yes, a SLAM is now indicated. Be sure to lower your pH first to 7.2 before starting the SLAM. You may need to let your FC come down to 10ppm before you can get a good pH reading.

The only time plaster versus vinyl is an issue is if you get black algae since it is very aggressive and tends to grow into surfaces. I don't think you reported having that. The pool surface itself does not determine if algae will grow, maintaining the FC at the proper FC/CYA ratio is your biggest determinant. Once you get your water cleaned up with the SLAM (be sure to follow the three exit criteria closely), then you may see better performance from your SWG.

My PH is a constant 7.6... Is it absolutely necessary to lower to 7.2?

The SLAM process requires it as a prerequisite. I believe the purpose is to make sure that the amount of hypochlorous acid (active chlorine that kills pathogens) is maximized as the ratio of hypochlorous acid to hypochlorite is pH dependent. Also, bleach has excess lye in it and raises the pH of your pool water so you want to start off lower to compensate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok understand, will set the dosing pump to make the changes. One last question, I have a heater but unfortunately I didn't install a bypass valve, is this process corrosive to the internals. Thanks!

Your heater should be just fine. Metal corrosion is typically accelerated by low pH (<6.8) which is not where pools operate.

Also, how fast is your dosing pump going to change the pH? You can do it much more quickly with a direct addition of MA to the deep end of the pool (in front of a running return). You can certainly use the dosing pump, but it seems to me that would be rather slow.

Well I figured I would take it down slow we're in kind of a heat wave right now so if I was to slam right now my kids wouldn't be able to swim. So I'm thinking just going to slowly bring it down to 7. 2 within the next few days and then once it's there I'll start the slam process. Sound like a plan?

Well I figured I would take it down slow we're in kind of a heat wave right now so if I was to slam right now my kids wouldn't be able to swim. So I'm thinking just going to slowly bring it down to 7. 2 within the next few days and then once it's there I'll start the slam process. Sound like a plan?

That's a fine plan. I understand not wanting to impact swim time. I once had to SLAM for 4 days a few years back. I did not want my kids in the water so as to not mess up the process and it was at the height of the hot & dry weather here. My wife was ready to kill me for keeping them out of the pool.

But, in case you have not read this before, it is safe to swim in water that is chlorinated all the way up to shock level. Your bathing suits might fade a little faster but no harm will come to anyone swimming. However, if anyone has gotten a recent expensive dye or highlight job done on their hair, they may want to consider taking a pass on swimming ;)

LOL yes the wife said NO WAY, they're swimming as I write this. One again HUGE THANK YOU for helping and as soon as I begin the slam I'll be sure to update this thread and keep you posted. It seems to me I've been suffering from this issue almost all season and the first slam was not successful so maybe it will take 4 days I'm hoping it doesn't though...

Update,

Slammed the pool, took about 3 days raised FC to 30 range and once it passed the overnight test I let it drift down. Now my SWG can keep up and is maintaining FC, thank goodness! And thanks for everyone's help specifically member JoyfulNoise.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Glad it worked out for you! The wealth of knowledge here on TFP is amazing. The best way to thank TFP is to help spread the word, contribute to the positive impact TFP has on pool ownership by helping others in the threads with your own experiences and advice and, if you can, contribute financially to the cause. If TFP currently has 94,300 members AND TFP has resulted in the net savings of $200 per person per swim season (and I think that's a low-ball estimate), then that's $18.9M dollars TFP helps pool owners save every year!! Considering how much voluntary/pro-bono effort so many people put in as Mods and Admins, it is truly amazing how accessible and well-run this forum is.

Update,

Slammed the pool, took about 3 days raised FC to 30 range and once it passed the overnight test I let it drift down. Now my SWG can keep up and is maintaining FC, thank goodness! And thanks for everyone's help specifically member JoyfulNoise.

Indeed could not agree with you more. I have told many people about this forum! Actually told a gent testing water at Hershey Park Hotel pools. I'll keep spreading the word. Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.