Algae, any chance I'll have this clear by Sunday Aug 23?

Have you taken the lights from their niches? That's been a place for algae to hide. On a number of recent SLAMs, folks have found YUCK, hiding in there. I've read that there is a screw at the top that you undo and then the light will swing forward.

Howdy again. I noticed you have not posted a full set of chem data. That might bring in more suggestions. For example your PH is important. And a PH that is too high will reduce the effectiveness of the chlorine in its fight on algae. So just to be sure maybe ck that PH.

pool is looking better..... keep up good effort

So here are my results from so far today.

9pm FC 11 and CC 0.5

6am FC 9.5 and CC 0....so I dropped 1.5ppm over night. Water was slightly clearer. I brushed at 6am and there was green dust, not too bad. No algae on walls or ledges like yesterday morning. I added 40cc of bleach. CYA testing the same- ~20

10am FC 12 I just vacuumed and cleaned the filter. The pool is looking even clearer than it did at 6am. The filter wasn't bad at all. I did get the drain plug off on the bottom of the filter housing and drained as low as possible and cleaned the inside.

Planning to keep FC between 10-12 today and hope tomorrow I'm in the clear. We just may be able to have this party Sunday.

Howdy again. I noticed you have not posted a full set of chem data. That might bring in more suggestions. For example your PH is important. And a PH that is too high will reduce the effectiveness of the chlorine in its fight on algae. So just to be sure maybe ck that PH.

pool is looking better..... keep up good effort

I did post a pre SLAM ph of 7.2. I was under the impression that testing PH with FC over 10 was not of much value?? I did test this morning and it was 7.8.

A few photos- yesterday

WP_20150818_11_26_46_Pro.jpg

Today

WP_20150819_10_44_51_Pro.jpg

Yesterday

WP_20150818_11_27_03_Pro.jpg

Today

WP_20150819_10_47_12_Pro.jpg

Not looking too bad overall

WP_20150819_10_45_16_Pro.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Have you taken the lights from their niches? That's been a place for algae to hide. On a number of recent SLAMs, folks have found YUCK, hiding in there. I've read that there is a screw at the top that you undo and then the light will swing forward.

I looked at the lights today- no screws that I can see. I hate to mess with them. I vacuum over them and took a small brush around them. Hoping that will suffice. Thanks for the suggestion.

Here's where I'm at today

6am FC 9.5 and CC 0....Water was slightly clearer. I brushed at 6am and there was green dust, not too bad. No algae on walls or ledges like yesterday morning. I added 40cc of bleach.

10am FC 12 vacuumed and no green dust, pool much clearer than 6 am.

1 pm FC 9.5 - added 40cc of bleach, brushed and no dust

1:40 FC 12

3 pm FC 11

4pm FC 11

5:30 pm FC 10, CC 0. I added 60cc of bleach hoping to bump up to 12 and not have to add any more today. I vacuumed and no green dust, pool is very clear. Just washed filter and cleaned out filter housing.

Also tested salt- (got my kit) and it is 2800, SWG reading 2500. Have to figure out how to reset that. Fingers crossed I pass my overnight! My water is clear, my CC is 0 (never been over 0.5) I just need to lose no more than 1ppm and I should be good! Thanks for all of the help.

I can really see the difference in the pool today vs yesterday. Your numbers look good. I too hope you pass the overnight, you've worked hard to get there. We're all rooting for you. Keep us posted, and have a wonderful night. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I passed the overnight test- YAY!!!!!

9pm FC was 11.5

6am FC was 10.5 and CC 0, pool is crystal clear- even more so than yesterday!

Whew....looks like our party will go on on Sunday! I'm going to keep up on it today with vacuuming and clean the filter again, but when I ran the brush around this morning there was no dust at all. I just loaded up my sock in my skimmer to get my CYA up to good levels, I did add a little salt, turned my SWG back on and will keep testing throughout the day to get an accurate ph reading when my FC drops a bit lower.

Any other suggestions on how to get back on track after coming out of a SLAM?

Thanks for all of the help.

So happy for you!!
My only comment, not really a suggestion is leave the SWG off until you get closer to your normal FC target. Your FC is not going to drop very fast with the SWG on. I had to buy some bleach because my pool was in a mini crisis after my PB tried to remove some stains. So I ended up running my FC up to 16. After passing the OCLT at that level. I ended up with 2 extra gallons of bleach. It took at least 3 days to get the FC to around 8 and I have been dosing with the bleach to use it up. Been 2 weeks plus with my SWG off...and I still have almost a half gallon of bleach

So happy for you!!
My only comment, not really a suggestion is leave the SWG off until you get closer to your normal FC target. Your FC is not going to drop very fast with the SWG on. I had to buy some bleach because my pool was in a mini crisis after my PB tried to remove some stains. So I ended up running my FC up to 16. After passing the OCLT at that level. I ended up with 2 extra gallons of bleach. It took at least 3 days to get the FC to around 8 and I have been dosing with the bleach to use it up. Been 2 weeks plus with my SWG off...and I still have almost a half gallon of bleach

OK, I did think about that but felt with my CYA so low that I may burn through it today pretty fast. I was at 10.5 at 6am and I'm going to test again here shortly. I guess if I'm still up in the 10 range I'll turn it off. So you're saying just to manage FC level with bleach for now until I get it down to normal levels?

Let it drift down to normal levels then turn the SWG back on.

You SHOULD do another OCLT to confirm...it will probably pass, but sometimes 2 or 3 in a row don't.

otherwise ya looks like highly likely your good for sunday.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.