Algae, any chance I'll have this clear by Sunday Aug 23?

This is my first issue ever with the pools chemical balance and therefore my first SLAM. My instructions for the DPD read to use a 25ml sample and multiply by .2 which I did but then read further and saw the option of the 10ml sample with 0.5 multiplier! Oh well, live and learn. Guessing my first tests were very accurate at my expense!

My last test I used 10mls and will continue to do so.

PAGirl- thank you for that mention- I just shut it off. I don't see that mentioned in the SLAM protocol, which I'm trying to follow religiously right now. Hoping I didn't cause the SWG any harm. My salt reading is now on the low side likely due to us adding water yesterday after a partial drain for the tile work. Guessing I should wait until I get the SLAM done to add more salt.

I can not tell by the previous comments in the thread whether or not you have the R-0003 DPD #3 Reagent. It is used to determine your CC. CC is a pretty good indicator of whether or not your chlorine is being consumed by algae. A CC of <= 0.5 is one of the requirements to pass the OCLT.

My salt reading is now on the low side likely due to us adding water yesterday after a partial drain for the tile work. Guessing I should wait until I get the SLAM done to add more salt.

hopefully, a real expert will chime in on this. From what I have read, you should be able to add the salt now. It should have zero impact on the SLAM. Unless you are going to be doing a lot of backwashing or pump to waste, I would prefer to do it now. your brushing and pump running 24/7 will get it mixed in real good for when you do go back on line.

Just did my 4th test

10am FC 14.4

12pm FC 14.4

2pm FC 13

4pm FC 12.5

I do have the R-0003 DPD #3 Reagent and just tested for CC following my FC test and it was 0

Guessing I just sit tight with CYA ~20

I'm going to brush and vacuum here shortly, I'll hose off my cartridge again too. My water is still fairly cloudy but I didn't notice any new algae. I'll look more closely when I vacuum.

And unfortunately I just checked my kit and don't have salt water test drops. My SWG reading is saying 2500 and we have just gone by it in the past but guessing I should call the pool store to see if they have it in stock or order a kit online.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
10am FC 14.4

12pm FC 14.4

2pm FC 13

4pm FC 12.5

6pm FC 11 and CC 0.5

I'm going to test at 8pm and if I drop to 10 or lower should I put in more bleach with my CYA estimated at 10-20? I'll do a final test around 9:30-10pm and before sunrise for OCLT.

I did another brushing and vacuum around 5pm- there was a fair bit of green dust on the bottom. Not so much on the walls or other ledges. I also cleaned the cartridge- I noted the water where the cartridge is housed was very green- is this to be expected? Again, my cartridge is brand new as of yesterday, I've hosed it off after vacuuming and it does have some green algae on it but cleans well.

Thanks for all of the help!

You are doing great. Your levels are looking good. Just keep bumping it back up to SLAM level when it drops, and try to keep it there at all times even if you need to raise it an extra 1 or 2 ppm when you can't check it as often. (it looks like you have this covered well).

The green dust is common, just keep vacuuming it out of there. Sometimes if the stuff on the bottom is a lot, I will vacuum 1st and get all the crude up that I see before brushing because if you brush 1st it will sometimes just separate the particles and send them right back into the water. Then I brush, then hit it with the vac again. (either way is fine and doing it this way causes you to have to vac that 2nd time but you don't have as many free particles roaming around in the water.

I also put a knee high panty hose over the skimmer basket during my slam too (it does the same thing as a skimmer sock) because it will capture smaller particles preventing them from getting into the filter, and returning back to the pool water.

Yes the cartridge is doing its job and filtering out algae so the water around there may be green too. Do you have a backwash on your pump, it so you probably need to back wash it. Also if when you vacuum if the algae you see is heavy if you can vacuum to waste instead of to filter will help too.

For some reason your signature information is Not showing up, have you filled that out? If not please go to Forum Actions at the top of the page then General Settings from that drop down under it, then look down the left hand side of your page MY SETTINGS, EDIT SIGNATURE. Here is the link on what you need to put in it. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/115-read-before-you-post

10am FC 14.4

12pm FC 14.4

2pm FC 13

4pm FC 12.5

6pm FC 11 and CC 0.5

9pm FC 11 and CC 0.5

I'll check in the AM around 6am to see if I drop any overnight. Question- if I don't drop, or only drop to 10 and my CC stays 0.5 or less but my water is still cloudy- I have to continue the SLAM process? My FC has stayed at shock levels all day and my CC is 0-0.5 but my cloudiness hasn't improved. Didn't know if that would clear over time with continued filtering and if that alone means I have to continue to keep chlorine at SLAM levels.

Yes the cartridge is doing its job and filtering out algae so the water around there may be green too. Do you have a backwash on your pump, it so you probably need to back wash it. Also if when you vacuum if the algae you see is heavy if you can vacuum to waste instead of to filter will help too.

For some reason your signature information is Not showing up, have you filled that out? If not please go to Forum Actions at the top of the page then General Settings from that drop down under it, then look down the left hand side of your page MY SETTINGS, EDIT SIGNATURE. Here is the link on what you need to put in it. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/115-read-before-you-post

No backwash that I'm aware of. I remove the entire cartridge and hose it off but the water in the cartridge housing stays in there- to a certain level- when I remove the lid to remove the filter. It is very green whereas the pool is only cloudy and slightly tinged green at the bottom. Not sure how or if I can get that water out to clean better in there.

I will update signature info. Thanks!

In theory it should clear with filtering, but you usually keep the SLAM going just in case at least for a short while, most especially if you've still got green in your filter housing (you want to kill off what's there, especially if you are unable to remove it easily).

Doesn't your cartridge filter have a drain plug near the bottom? That usually lets you get most of the water out of the cartridge housing. If you have a pool cover pump or other type of water pump you may be able to use it to remove the rest of the water from the housing.

Don't forget to brush your pool as that helps circulate debris to the filter.

In theory it should clear with filtering, but you usually keep the SLAM going just in case at least for a short while, most especially if you've still got green in your filter housing (you want to kill off what's there, especially if you are unable to remove it easily).

Doesn't your cartridge filter have a drain plug near the bottom? That usually lets you get most of the water out of the cartridge housing. If you have a pool cover pump or other type of water pump you may be able to use it to remove the rest of the water from the housing.

Don't forget to brush your pool as that helps circulate debris to the filter.

I did notice what could possibly be a drain plug at the bottom- it was a black round cover looking thing. I'll have to look in the am, I've never messed with it. If that is a drain, then yes, I could get that water out and scrub out the inside of the housing, which would be ideal. We do have a pump and I was even thinking of our wet vac to clean it out.

I am brushing- at least 5 times today with 2 vacuums and 2 filter washings. I took a small brush to the jets and lights and skimmer and cleaned the skimmer basket, skimmer door and insides. I guess I'll plan on babysitting the pool again tomorrow! Dreaming of clear water!

Thank you!

Another thing I did which isn't a necessity, and may, or may not, make one bit of difference. I did Not drain the water from my vac tubes back into the pool. When I was finished vacuuming incase they had algae in them that didn't make it to the filter yet, I just pulled the vac, full hoses, and all out, and let them drain on the ground instead.

With the way your water looks in the first post and the effort you are putting in, you should have TFP sparkling water soon

Looking good bauerdr. Keep up the great job, it WILL get there. Have a wonderful night. :)

Thank you!! Appreciate the votes of confidence and all of the advice! My husband had no faith I could tackle this and wanted to hire someone. :rolleyes:

Crackerjack4u- I had been draining the hose tubes back into the pool but you're right, probably best not to to be completely thorough. Hoping to be on top of this again tomorrow, get the filter drained and cleaned and hopefully see the water clearing up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.