Hayward Colorlogic 4.0

jongig

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 27, 2010
I purchased a in-ground pool several years ago and spent quite a lot of money on a LED light, Hayward Colorlogic 4.0. It seemed like a good idea since it was LED, it would last longer, required less energy and my favorite was the changing colors. It worked well for the first two years but it stopped working this year for no reason that I can find.

I did some research on this light and it seems like I'm not the only person to have this problem and with the cost of this light and with such limited use I'd have thought it would easily outlast me or the pool, not so.

I spoke to the warranty department and the warranty being 1-year I was not going to get any satisfaction, reduction in cost for a new one or frankly any concern at all from them.

I've seen situations like this such as with a Garmin product I owned and after years of ownership they still helped by offering a discount on a upgraded product. Hayward just doesn't care and clearly a problem exists with this light from my point of view.

When companies treat customers like this it's always my feeling that we should all make them accountable and in my opinion they shouldn't be in business if they treat us this way.

Rant over, save your money and don't buy this product.

I am updating this to show my findings from having benched the light.

When I took the light apart I found water inside the light which one would assume is the most probable cause the light failed. The reason I believe water was able to get into the light was because of poor design.

There is a glass globe, rubber seal and a back plate made of stainless steel.

The stainless steel is in my opinion too thin and is bendable as can be seen in the photos.
At the top of the light you can see the stainless steel tab and because the tab is too long it causes the back plate to bend as it was screwed down against the rubber seal. It’s a simple mistake made most likely because the measurement of the tab was probably made without the rubber seal. This of course causes the rubber seal to have a point of failure and in my opinion the reason water got into the light.

You can clearly see the bend in the back plate at another point around the light as well.
Hayward was made aware of the problem but as of now the only response I’ve had from them was sorry, you’re out of the warranty period.

Attachments

• Lite_1.jpg
    Lite_1.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Lite_2.jpg
    Lite_2.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 53
I sent my findings to Hayward even after they had said no to replacing the light and they have since replaced the light. I know things go bad and we all have to deal with this and the expense especially with pools but I applaud Hayward for realizing that I had done the research. Just maybe there was reason to replace a light that is a couple years out of warranty and that's what they did. I've since installed the light in the pool and it works just fine. I also notice on the new light that the light looks very much the same except the tab is shorter and will not interfere with the gasket.

Thanks very much Hayward.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.