Pool Depth - how do I figure out what slope would be?

Aug 12, 2015
Boston, MA
Hello,
We are trying to decide on deep end depth of our pool. It my understanding that if i do an under 8 foot deep end that I can do a gradual slope but anything more then that I'd have to do a deep end slope.

I'm trying to decide to do a 9 foot deep end or 7 11". My pool is 40 foot long 20 wide free form pool. I am wondering how many feet of shallow (3 feet) room i'll have in the shallow end if I do a 9 foot.
I'm thinking it would start with 3'.. then would it go to 5' how long would it be 5 feet before dropping to 9? or would it be gradual? ...how would the slope change if i was doing an 8 foot deep end? thanks!
any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

There is 1 ft drop in slope for every 3 feet of distance. the slope should not exceed that. It can be less, but not more.
40 ft long is a long pool so I dont think you will have any problem at all with having plenty of room. Especialy if its 20 feet wide to boot.

Here is a useful link to pool dimensions to help you figure it out.
http://divingboardsafety.net/Standard-inground-pools.pdf

You can get you some graph paper and scale out the pool on the graph. Then size your hopper on the graph paper of deep end, then scale out the size you want the shallow end to be. Then draw a line from the hopper to the edge of the shallow end, and then calculate the slope from there.

If its too much slope, then make the deep end shallower and repeat the slope calculation.
Just continue making it a bit shallower each time, until your slope doesnt exceed 1 ft for every 3 ft of horizontal distance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.