Removing and replacing caulking around pool deck

Jul 31, 2015
ARLINGTON
I have read most of the posts relating to this project.
Removal: Tried a box cutter and realized that was going to be a month long project. Read on internet to use a carpet knife (hooked blade) worked better than box cutter, still too long too hard. That lead me to finding TFP. Wow. The multi-tool suggestion was terrific. That poster was correct to go to Harbor Freight or the other tool place saved over 70% instead of typical hardware store. The diamond tipped grout blade made it around the whole pool before being worn out.

First question, that post recommended using a stripping wheel vs. wire wheel to clean way residual caulk on edges. Curious why the wire is not best.
Second, I have a portion of decking raised about 3/4" above pool tile. I am afraid self-leveling may not work here. Any suggestions? Vulkem 45 says it is semi-self leveling, might that work. There are caulks out there, but none recommend for pool use. I guess the chlorine is the problem. Can I use saran wrap on top of the caulk to help keep the angle needed to seal both sides?

The original foam seal is in sheet form and gunk stuck on top. I think I need to cut some of that away so I can smash backer rod on top.

They mention wide tape on each side. I guess it can be a messy job and that keeps the edges clean?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.