Bad motor --> cavitation damage = useless wet end?

That is an up rated motor. But what happened to that motor? Did it have the same issue.
Same issue, but that one ran for a full year (operating 24/7 during pool season) before burning out. Another pump, one that came with the house, also did not work for some unknown reason (it was 10 years old and simply didn't start the first time we opened the pool.)

It is possible that they put the wrong impeller on the motor or visa versa. It may have been on the edge of the original motor rating. Often times, manufactures under rate their motors to have some margin. I would try downsizing the impeller and see if that works.

The part number of what's in my wet end matches up with what it says online is a 1 HP impeller.

im suspecting something else is definitely wrong, like clogged/blocked pipes. There was barely any pressure being read on the suction side of the pump, I believe 2 mm Hg maximum on the gauge I installed. That seems a bit low for a skimmer line and a vacuum line.

The part number of what's in my wet end matches up with what it says online is a 1 HP impeller.
Right but that usually means it is a 1 HP FULL RATED impeller. You have an UP RATED motor so it is a mismatch. You need a 3/4 HP full rated impeller instead.

im suspecting something else is definitely wrong, like clogged/blocked pipes. There was barely any pressure being read on the suction side of the pump, I believe 2 mm Hg maximum on the gauge I installed. That seems a bit low for a skimmer line and a vacuum line.
Clogged lines under load a motor (not moving as much water), not overload so it would not burn up a motor. Also, are you sure that gauge isn't reading "in. Hg"?

Oops, yes... it's 2 in Hg that it was reading.

I checked the amperage draw last night, and it's drawing 16A on high speed and 6.5A on low speed. That's much higher than the 5.5-6A and 2A that it was drawing when I first hooked it up.

Just to make sure it isn't friction somewhere in the wet end that is causing the problem, remove the water from the pump basket, and measure the amperage again but only for a few seconds so as not to damage the seal. This should drop to a couple of amps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I posted this a month ago, and I still think it is where you should be looking:

"... Two motors, both going bad, points at something wrong OTHER than the motor. How about the contacts in the time clocks and/or both "speeds" being energized at one time? How about a wonky breaker? Intermittent wiring (wire nuts and/or corrosion)?"

A "wrong impeller" should show up as heat.

"... Two motors, both going bad, points at something wrong OTHER than the motor.
Actually it's been FOUR now, but three of them have been attached to the current wet end. The Waterway SMF-110 pump had an EUSQ-1102 single speed motor that ran for a year until it started doing what the new two-speed 1072R motors are doing.

How about the contacts in the time clocks and/or both "speeds" being energized at one time?
The original pump with the 1102 motor ran 24/7 during pool season, as we did not have a timer until AFTER that one broke down. To be honest, had that 1102 motor not broken down, I'd probably STILL be running it 24/7.

How about a wonky breaker? Intermittent wiring (wire nuts and/or corrosion)?"
No, not that I've seen. There's only one junction point, and I ran brand new wiring from that to the timer box.

FWIW, I emptied the pump after disconnecting it from all plumbing, and the amp draw is the same as I noted above. I even disconnected the low speed wire from the timer, to see if that was an issue. No difference.

2" of mercury, that's not even 1psig vac???
What does this mean? I just installed gauges on both sides of the pump, but I have no reference for what the readings are telling me. The impeller side reading is reading a bit lower than it did previously, going down closer to 15 whereas is had been 25.

again, have you checked for reverse rotation, or both speeds energized simultaneously?
It's been covered: http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...seless-wet-end?p=905273&viewfull=1#post905273

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.