About to have 1st pool built

Reg29

Aug 10, 2015
Newark/DE
Glad I found this site, I'm working with pool contractor that is a "Pro Edge" Zodiac dealer. My challenge is that they seem to be not a very big proponet of SWG and offer the Nature2 Fusion Soft. My research suggest that I might consider other SWG systems and consulting with the PC they will install SWG that I select, but are not providing much in the way of guidance to which SWG would best fit my needs.
Pool is a vinyl L-shape 43' x 20' x 28' x 15' Depth in the 28' x 15' section is 40" and the remaining 15' x 20' section will tapper down to 7.5' estimate the pool capacity at 34,000 gallons.
My reading on this site suggest that I want the largest SWG that is available which points me toward the AutoPilot RC-52, Pentair IC60 and CiruPool RJ-60.

How significant is 2.0lbs/day chlorine output VS 1.40lbs/day chlorine output (Hayward AquaRite T-15)?
What other things should I be considering when selecting my SWG?

Appreciate the advice!
Tony

As you may have read, the general recommendation here is to go with a SWG that is rated for a pool twice your actual pool size. This allows for lower output settings and/or shorter SWG run times that will extend the life of the cell. Larger cells are a bit higher cost but this is offset by the extended life.

How significant is the 2.0 versus 1.4? 42.9% significant. 2.0 is that much greater than 1.4. ;) I do not have a SWG myself but choosing one that interfaces well with any automation systems you're having installed is important or on the flip side, one that does not require additional expensive automation if it does not integrate with your other controls.

Do a search on the site using the search box for SWG and you're bound to find some reviews, comments on the different brands available. You're right to avoid the Nature2 products as your pool does not need minerals for sanitation and long term use of mineral (copper, silver) products can lead to staining of pool surfaces and hair. Metals in the pool are never good and difficult to eliminate. Just because your builder is has incentives to sell them doesn't mean they are good for pool owners.

For a pool that size I would recommend a 60,000 gallon SWG and the three you mention are about your only choices.

AutoPilot with a RC-52 SWG cell is my first choice as it is a reliable system with a proven track record. The con of PoolPilot is the cost as it is the most expensive.

The second SWG that I would suggest is a Pentair IC60 SWG. This is also a very reliable SWG but it has limited controls without automation.

The last SWG that I would suggest is a CircuPool. These SWG's are the cheapest but they have had many issues with their reliability.

PC is telling me that my warranty for the pool walls (lifetime - as long as I own the pool) will be voided if I use a SWCG system. Am I being unreasonable to say that is a deal breaker? I really like the PC (family own & run), he built pool for my parents back in the 1980s and guessing builds > 50% of the IG gunite & vinyl pools in a 50 mile radius of where I live. Is this typical in the industry that vinyl pools with galvanize steel walls have no warranty if using SWCG?

My neighbors just put in a pool. With steel walls. And a vinyl liner. And a SWCG. Full warranty.

Your pool builder/contractor is telling you that you can't have a SWCG? Then you can't have them install a Nature2 Fusion Soft. That system is a SWCG in combination with mineral (copper/silver) cartridges. IT IS A SWCG.

EDIT: From the Nature2 Fusion Soft manual

Salt Level Requirement: 3,000 - 3,500 ppm

I'd find a new PC who's not being entirely dishonest.

PC will install SWCG, I'm requesting AutoPilot Dig-220 & RC-52. He says that it will void their warranty on pool wall if I go with any SWCG. Not sure if the manufacture of the galvanized steel wall does not warranty with SWCG and that is the point or if is the PC. I will look into that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.