Pentair Whisperflow seal replacement How-to (w/ photos)

As was the case a couple of years ago, I find this thread again to be very helpful. Though not the handiest of men, I followed the instructions as outlined.

Again, the pictures for step 4 were very helpful. I had to use two vice grip pliers - one, as showed in the picture, and another at the end of the pump as a second stabilizer. As before, it took quite a bit of time and patience. Also, for me, steps 7 and 8 were very difficult. Getting the old seal out took a lot of time and the metal was really deformed by the time I got it out. I think I managed to get it out without damaging the plate, but getting the replacement properly seated took another great deal of time (for me) and the suggestion of a dowel was much appreciated (step 8). I am going to wait a day before filling the pump with water and turning it back on.

One thing I did notice, this time, is that I was greeted with a burst of chlorine gas - or that's what it seemed like. I do have a chlorinator for my pool and as soon as I noticed the leak, I greatly reduced the time I allowed the pump to run. Initially, I set the pump int "service mode" and let the area dry so I could properly ascertain the leak. Though I had everything off, maybe there was chlorine (gas?) released once the system was open. Regardless of the source, I did step outside and let everything air out for 20-30 min before going back in, and the air was much better. Has anyone else encountered this?

Though the leak I had this time wasn't as flowing as the previous leak I had (in 2014), it seemed to come from the same place. So, I guess the question I have is this - I replaced the seal about 2 years ago. During this time, I noticed how beat up and, in some areas I'm getting rust. Though we didn't buy this house from the original owner, I'm assuming I've got gear that is, at least 10 or so years, if not older. What is the average life span of these pumps? I posted pics with information on my pump on this thread: Leaking equipment

I think I may consider getting a new pump in the next or the season just after next. It could be that I am either not very good at repair, or even the equipment is starting to require more attention and for piece of mind, maybe I just replace it. Would appreciate any thoughts/opinions on this.

Thanks for reading, and thanks again for this helpful forum and helpful threads.

Thanks for the write up...I'm bumping an old thread yet again, because it helped me and is still relevant, and I have a bit to add that may help others:

The replacement pump installed on my pool (Pentair Whisperflo 1.5 hp, 2.21 s.f.h.p) was too powerful for the plumbing, so pressure with a clean filter started out at 20 psi (startup was 10 psi with my old pump/filter). This pressure was too high, and caused a leak at the backwash valve stem (Pentair vertical slide-valve type) that I could not fix with new o-rings and/or tightening the stem collar. High pressure is also is hard on the motor.

To fix this high pressure condition, I bought the next smaller Pentair impeller from Amazon (removed impeller part #073129 and replaced with #073128) and installed it, with help from write-ups like this one. The one thing that I almost messed up is I failed to notice the ceramic seal installed in the old impeller, and the new impeller did not come with any seals. So I almost installed the new one with no seal, but caught myself. But now I wasn't sure if I could re-use the old seal, or how to get it out of the old impeller. I was able to remove the old seal without damaging it by carefully prying on the black rubber edge of the seal, around its circumference, being careful to not to slip and scratch the white ceramic top part with the small screwdriver I used. Little by little I could see the seal rising out of its groove. Once I got the seal out, I simply pressed it into the new impeller with my thumb, and all is well, no leaks.

With the new impeller installed, pressure has gone down to 14 psi with a clean filter. This is still a bit high for my liking (maybe I should have gone down two impeller sizes) but the backwash valve stem is no longer leaking, so I'll go with this setup for a awhile and see how it works. FYI, you can only downsize your impeller, you cannot step up to higher-flow impeller without risk of overworking the pump.

-Dan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.